feature add: angle for top/bottom internal layer generation

lance-greene

Posted · feature add: angle for top/bottom internal layer generation

So I'm printing this part for one of our projects and because of the angles on it the "top layers" value is generating paths where they dont need to be. I understand why it is putting those paths there but it would be nice if you could set the angle at which it decides to generate the top layers. this part is 1 single wall and hollow, so the small paths it is generating because of the top layers cause heat buildup which causes noticeable defects in the print.

Capture.thumb.PNG.9c9f2d3b3a204ab8a66dbf2fcccc6972.PNG

Capture.thumb.PNG.9c9f2d3b3a204ab8a66dbf2fcccc6972.PNG

DId you try Special Modes -> Spiralize Outer Contour ?

The yellow areas you are indicating is Cura setting up the top/bottom layer thicknesses on shallow overhangs. And the defects you are seeing are probably not heat related, but rather the 'jiggling' Cura does to set up these 'support' layers.

If you don't wish use Spiralize Outer Contour. If you wish to not use that feature, set your Top/Bottom thickness to 1 layer height.

I have to say, I feel the OP's pain. This phenomena has been a problem for me many times. The problem with reducing top thickness to 1 layer is that to get a good finish on the actual top, you need 6+ layers depending on the model geometry.

Posted (edited) · feature add: angle for top/bottom internal layer generation

I have to say, I feel the OP's pain.  This phenomena has been a problem for me many times.  The problem with reducing top thickness to 1 layer is that to get a good finish on the actual top, you need 6+ layers depending on the model geometry.

True. If it's a dome or a peak (or open) you can get a good finish with just 1 layer, otherwise it's a mess.

Edited by Guest

If I understand your issue correctly, there could be a solution arriving soon. We're currently working on a feature that expands skin layers when they lie under perimeters because that makes a better job when you have walls above low density infill. The feature also includes the ability to shrink narrow areas of skin such as you have in the image above.

Hello everyone, i just having this problem also. I need a appearence of a thick wall, but only having an outside and a inner single contourn.

If i set the number of top/bottom layers as 1, it works well. But, if I want a better top finish, the problem returns. Have any an ideia of a solution?

Capturar.PNG