Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
celso-santos

Is CURA supposed to reduce the file size of a part without any warning?

I just think that I have lost days of printing, a lot of material and a lot work time after I discovered that CURA, without any warning reduces the file size of a model when it is larger than 223x223x205mm that is the available print size of my Ultimaker 2+. The awful part is that sometimes it shows the real part size with gray stripes, making sure that the size is not correct. Some other times, and do not ask me why, the part shows colored yellow and fits the plate.

To make sure that I am not crazy, I drew a square solid prism that measures 243x243 x150mm and dropped inside CURA. It immediately accepted the solid showing the part colored yellow and stating its new size: 184.5x113.9x184.5. A reduction of 24,07%!!! Why? Without any warning?

I don't know what you think, but for me this is a really serious flaw and a bad behavior, because we cannot trust the information delivered by the software. The worst part is that sometimes CURA shows the real size of the part with its image grayed out in stripes.

Has anyone experimente something like this?

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks

Celso

5a3328007d457_CuraReduction.thumb.png.385bd0f279d28dbc1bb4509f0e95083b.png

5a3328007d457_CuraReduction.thumb.png.385bd0f279d28dbc1bb4509f0e95083b.png

This Can be turned off in the settings under General, Scale Large Models.

It should Warn you that the size was reduced. Well it used to.

Thanks Labern. There should be a big warning stating "Model scaled to fit the printing are", or something like that. In my case, sometimes CURA scaled the big files, sometimes not, making me think that I was crazy.

I also think that this feature should be off by default. If we want to increase or reduce the model size this should be done voluntarily.

Eehh...the current latest version is 2.4...so saying that this was changed 2 months ago is not true...maybe...depending on your release schedule...you could say that this will be changed in 2 months ;)

Uh. Yes it is. I just looked at the commit that changed that line of code. The 2.4 release was in beta for a long time and someone fixed this on the master branch.

Cura 2.4 still automatically scales large and small models...I just deleted my prefs and launched it again and those settings are enabled...so in the big world this is still an issue...until 2.5 is released. Whatever is changed in your development version does not count as fixed to the majority of the users ;)

I think i already mentioned that it was not in 2.4 ;)

True, but you also said that it was changed two months ago...which is not true...since there is no Cura released with this function disabled by default...so this is not fixed yet ;)

That said...i'm glad that Ultimaker finally came to your senses and realized that this was a very dangerous thing to have enabled by default :)