UM2GO Nozzle Question

Posted · UM2GO Nozzle Question

Hello Community,

Beginner here. I am looking into purchasing the UM2GO model. I will primarily be printing 1/4" scale furniture. This will require fine detail on teeny tiny objects. I am wondering, can I change the nozzle on the 2go model to a .25 or even a .14 (I think a .14 exists) to get the finest detail? The specs say that it comes with a .4 nozzle with no mention of other sizes. I just want to be sure that I am buying the right thing. I have the UM2+Extended at work and LOVE it. I just need something small at home. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM2GO Nozzle Question

Oh it's great that you have the um2+ext.  That means you know the kind of quality and such you can get.  Since you are in the USA you want to go to my store and consider getting the meduza kit but definitely put an iRoberti on that 2go and get an Olsson block or a block v3.  I sell 0.15 and 0.1mm nozzles.  You can print .15 down to .1 line widths (tell cura you have a .1 nozzle or .1 line width depending on cura version) and the .1mm nozzle can print a bit smaller also e.g. .08.

I think you will love the 2go.  It seems to have even better print quality due to the very sturdy frame for such a small printer.

http://thegr5store.com

Oh - and print the iRoberti backwards (mirror image) as the 2go feeder is mirror image from the um2 and um2ext.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

You would need an olsson block. For more reliability I would get a TFM coupler & print a spacer (google youmagine spring replacement). Also, but not needed for pla print temperature, a 35W heater helps. Any UM reseller should have them, also 3dsolex sells that parts.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Oh yes!

The UM2Go will be a classic indeed! I doubt there is any such sturdy printer available,

increadibly well designed and built! Its the best bet for fine, fine detailed work!

• Like 1

You can install the UM2+ Upgrade kit on it which comes with the Olsson block new fans and geared feeder.

The geared feeder that comes in the kit is on the wrong side but you can print a new housing for it. I did this on my UM2go.

• Like 1

:)

Or you can spend much less money than the um2+ upgrade and buy just the block v3 medium 4 kit and a meduza kit (note this is my store in USA - in europe go to 3dsolex.com)

http://thegr5store.com/store/index.php/um2/meduza-feeder-upgrade-kit.html

http://thegr5store.com/store/index.php/block-v3-and-matchless-nozzles.html

Of course I'm a bit biased.

• Like 1

The Bondtech just never stops.

After installing it in my UM2 and UM2Go, I never sleep lightly or wake up to

check if my print is ok, which must be ready in the morning.

It always is!

For me, and many I know, the bondtech has a "pay-back" of one single use.

Everything after that is a bonus, " Free bondtech feeder"..

End of Story.

• Like 1

There's no bad answer! Just biased answers. If you go with any of the solutions above you will be happy. It's like choosing between blueberry pie or cherry pie. Both good options in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Excellent question and excellent thread.

It was me who liked all the answers.

I love this forum...helps me in my job a lot.

I'll be linking someone to this thread...hopefully he'll be part of the Ultimaker community soon.

I have a 2 Go and at the time went with a Titan extruder, Olsson Block, and a Print in Z build plate.

I strongly recommend going with SOME kind of upgraded extruder. The stock one is just not reliable in my experience, the Medusa one on the GR5 store looks great and is nice and low cost. 2 to 1 ratio is nice. The Titan gives you 3 to 1, but its not like you would REALLY need that. I have no Bondtech experience to speak of but I do know they offer lots of filament control and as someone earlier mentioned zero issues with their prints.

I will say that the Titan has had no problems once I got it set up properly for the filament.  I assume the same of the Medusa since it's essentially a + Extruder clone.

Whatever extruder you do end up with you will need to go to the Tinkergnome firmware which is really easy to work with.  You  need to change the steps on the extruder so it will work properly.

As for Olsson block and V3 blocks. I run the Olsson and really like it.  The V3 has multiple improvements to it, but I personally can't see them being a great bang for your buck.  

Someone mentioned a 35W heater. I know that GR5 sells them and I really like heated beds on printers, but I will say from my experiences for the last two years printing on a Print in Z build plate almost daily it's been super reliable, parts stick very well (PLA) but I have never run anything but PLA on that machine.  If with these upgrades you want to run other materials, you may consider a heated bed.

For what it's worth, I plan on picking up another 2 Go and doing the same modifications to it.  Not only because then I have the same things to upkeep, but I know they work well. Also I have not yet done the TFM upgrade but that is next on my list of things to do.

Links to the other mentioned things were provided but here is the Print in Z plate if you are interested in taking a look at that too.

http://www.printinz.com/printinz-3d-printer-plates/

Edited by Guest