Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Kethis

How to change filaments on Ultimaker Original?

Hey all!

Here's some background story. I've been using Ultimaker Original for about 3 days and I want to change the filaments. However, I do not know how to do it. I searched all over the Internet and I couldn't find an answer. If anyone knows how to do it and could tell me, it will be appreciated!

2 ways to do it. If they are similar filaments (i.e. both PLA for example) then just release the tensioner on the drive and pull the filament out when the nozzle is hot (immediately after your last print or just use the heat PLA routine, and then just load the new filament. I find it easier if I cut a diagonal cut on the new filament with pliers before I feed it in as it gets into the feed guide, bowden and nozzle easier. Push it into the nozzle until you see a string coming out, tension the filament holder and then manually turn the drive until the old filament has purged and the new filament colour has appeared - and you are ready!

The other way is the atomic pull - well written up on this site - so search for it precisely, but basically you heat up to 210, then turn this down to 90 for a few minutes and pull hard on the filament (I turn the filament reel on the back of the printer) and the filament will come free and bring with it a cold impression of the whole nozzle and hot zone. Be warned that this demands some strength as the 'plug' takes a bit of pulling to get it out of the nozzle and melt zone, and is also exactly bowden tube size and so takes quite a pull to get it out of the tube. The point of this is that it brings all the filament and any detritus out of the nozzle - so it is a 'clean' as well as a change in colour. But I only use this say every 10 changes of coloour or when I am chanign materials.

Hope this helps - a great machine!

• Like 1