Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
twipwip

I'm pressing the endstop... "please press the right X endstop"

I'm running through the setup wizard and encountering the error "please press the right X endstop" during the startup wizard. I press the button, but I'm getting no signal.

I get the sense that maybe some more wiring is bad (wouldn't be the first time, because if I choose to skip this entire step, and Cura tries to connect to the printer, it gives me a "Failed to establish connection with the printer" problem. However, this makes no sense, as I've been able to update the firmware and test the temperature.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The instructions were finally corrected (by me) just a week ago (I took this picture last November):

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/File:Endstops.png

I wish people would stop editing that part. Yes, the endstops USED to be labeled wrong, but as far as I know the current kits have this corrected for more then a month already.

Well I got my kit just 4 months ago today and the wood was still printed wrong. However, the nice thing about the current instructions is that if you fix the printing on the wood, the instruction corrections will still be correct.

Have you taken a look at a recent laser-cut "bottom" piece to see if it's fixed? You can check it against the picture here:

This problem isn't really that big of a deal. Some people had the switches backwards and did a home and were afraid of damage after their x axis did a "total slam" but their ultimaker survived (and they were annoyed but so what - deal with it - UM can handle it - so should you).

Maybe the new instructions are wrong and messed up twipwip? Twipwip - what month did you order your ultimaker or when did it arrive (roughly) and is the bottom of your ultimaker backwards like the picture? Or is the printing on the bottom of your ultimaker fixed now (I doubt it). If so I'll fix the instructions.

I just put together a Ultimaker Original I bought at MakerFaire SF Bay Area two or three years ago.  I'm getting this problem.  I bought a new arduino, swapped it out, after tracing the connections and verifying continuity and switch operation, and had the same effect.  If this is a known issue, could we get some resolution?  What do I do next?  I worked around it for now, and I'm able to make prints, but I have fear of damaging the machine if something goes wrong.