I'm pressing the endstop... "please press the right X endstop"

twipwip

Posted · I'm pressing the endstop... "please press the right X endstop"

I'm running through the setup wizard and encountering the error "please press the right X endstop" during the startup wizard. I press the button, but I'm getting no signal.

I get the sense that maybe some more wiring is bad (wouldn't be the first time, because if I choose to skip this entire step, and Cura tries to connect to the printer, it gives me a "Failed to establish connection with the printer" problem. However, this makes no sense, as I've been able to update the firmware and test the temperature.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried pressing the left endstop instead? Maybe the wiring is reversed (or the labelling on the board - I think that has been a problem in the past).

Wow. Now I feel silly, because I did see that solution in the forums already. That is exactly what it was. Time to switch up some wiring.

The instructions were finally corrected (by me) just a week ago (I took this picture last November):

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/File:Endstops.png

I wish people would stop editing that part. Yes, the endstops USED to be labeled wrong, but as far as I know the current kits have this corrected for more then a month already.

Well I got my kit just 4 months ago today and the wood was still printed wrong. However, the nice thing about the current instructions is that if you fix the printing on the wood, the instruction corrections will still be correct.

Have you taken a look at a recent laser-cut "bottom" piece to see if it's fixed? You can check it against the picture here:

By the way, there are tons of comments about how the kit was fixed, plus tons of more messages about how "nope, not fixed yet" months later. It would be nice to have a specific cutoff - something like:

"ultimakers shipped after Feb 27, 2013 have this 'reverse x limit switch' printing fixed".

This problem isn't really that big of a deal. Some people had the switches backwards and did a home and were afraid of damage after their x axis did a "total slam" but their ultimaker survived (and they were annoyed but so what - deal with it - UM can handle it - so should you).

Maybe the new instructions are wrong and messed up twipwip? Twipwip - what month did you order your ultimaker or when did it arrive (roughly) and is the bottom of your ultimaker backwards like the picture? Or is the printing on the bottom of your ultimaker fixed now (I doubt it). If so I'll fix the instructions.

Hi,

I bought mine 5 months ago, so I'd assume this problem was fixed in later shipments.

It's a known bug of Cura. And it still persists.

It's a known bug of Cura. And it still persists.

Sorry? The swapped endstops are not a bug in Cura, and are actually the reason I added the test in the first place. To avoid head slamming into the sides of the machine.

I just put together a Ultimaker Original I bought at MakerFaire SF Bay Area two or three years ago.  I'm getting this problem.  I bought a new arduino, swapped it out, after tracing the connections and verifying continuity and switch operation, and had the same effect.  If this is a known issue, could we get some resolution?  What do I do next?  I worked around it for now, and I'm able to make prints, but I have fear of damaging the machine if something goes wrong.