A revolutionary filter (Kickstarter project)

Posted (edited) · A revolutionary filter (Kickstarter project)

(I had trouble creating the original post, so here it is in a reply.)

Hi all,

@IronRedstar posted an interesting Kickstarter project in the French forum and I thought it would get some wide exposure/evaluation/comments if it was mentioned in English as well.

It is a new particulate filter design/idea for 3D printers, including Ultimaker.  It closes soon and they are promising shipping soon too.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, here are some links:

French post: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39499-un-filtre-revolutionnaire-projet-kickstarter

English Kickstarter page:

Comments and opinions would be appreciated, especially from the more experienced amongst us. :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Guest

After watching the video I am not exactly sure what the filter is, or how it works.

I saw something needed to be connected to the printhead, big cans of compressed air in the back, but the Zimpure itself did not look that big.

Edit; looking at the opening shot in the video it is far clearer what the filter actually looks like.

I'll check out the page some more, but overall I am very wary when it comes to kickstarter projects. There are so many (seemingly looking) good ideas, but miscalculations when it comes to actually making and shipping a product.

Edited by Guest

It absorbs the air near the nozzle, that's where the gasses go out due plastic being hot. It 'sucks' the chemicals before they expand in the air.

Edited by Guest

Posted · A revolutionary filter (Kickstarter project)

Yeah, KickStarter is certainly a gamble and it is much harder to bring products to market than most people realize.

But I thought the idea was interesting enough to share.

Also it seems like they did some science on it, and I like that. Plus they seem to be past they blue sky idea phase and have an actual working system. That covers a big part of the risk, IMO.

But who knows. Place your bet or don't, right? :) That is why I was wondering what the 3D Printing experts in the community thought about it.