Ultimaker 2+ rattle/grinding sound on the Y

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ rattle/grinding sound on the Y

I need help,

My printer has started to make this rattle type sound on the Y axis. can only hear if the movement is slow-ish can not hear it when it's printing at 40mm/s +.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG94XJy4WJ0

With the printer turned off if you slowly move the print head from back to front you can hear it plus it feel not as small as moving the head side to side. like it feels more steppy if that makes sense, I have put some sewing machine oil on the rods with no improvement.

Here is some photo's of the print it does not look like quality has gone down, well on the cura fast setting for PLA its gotten a little more ringing but it has always been like that from day one but don't think as bad.

40mm/s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ShX0fxi4PutKeM3KguRSdQemK-18Wojt9Q

60mm/s

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Fp3TQ_ciw1H8F8cI1m_5SBTfZnrz6rCrw

Does anyone know what's going on is it anything to worry about?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ rattle/grinding sound on the Y

Umm well let's check the basics.

When was the last time you oiled the shafts?

Does the belt on the motor corner rub against any cable (endstop) or something like that?

Does the belt on the motor corner rub against any cable (endstop) or something like that?

I oiled them lastnight when I noticed the sound, and was oiled about a month before that. (only only done about 20 hours of printing in that time had a slow month)

The wiring for the end stops is not touching the belt.

Moved the head to the middle the moved it to the left a little and measured from the thin to the thick shaft and its only about 0.2mm different from front to back and the same on the right side.

Edited by Guest

Is it best to hold off on printing until I find out where the noise is coming from or would it not really be hurting anything.

Is really hard to tell. Could you make photos of all the pulleys, even motor (as much as it can be, since is a hard angle)? Also x/y hotend shafts to the sliderblocks?

Is really hard to tell. Could you make photos of all the pulleys, even motor (as much as it can be, since is a hard angle)? Also x/y hotend shafts to the sliderblocks?

Okay when I was getting the photo's while moving the head I found this. I was very careful when moving the head by holding the fan cover it would not rattling.

Edited by Guest

Maybe the part that is rumbling is just the metal near the air-exit, check if bending it very slighly fix it. Also check that the screws are in place. I have very little experience with that fancap since I removed it just 2h after installing it... Maybe someone more experience with um2+ fancap can drop some knowhow?

Maybe the part that is rumbling is just the metal near the air-exit, check if bending it very slighly fix it. Also check that the screws are in place. I have very little experience with that fancap since I removed it just 2h after installing it... Maybe someone more experience with um2+ fancap can drop some knowhow?

if I can not work it out can you recommend a printable fan mount?

Afaik @labern fancap is pretty nice.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-dual-nozzle-fan-shroud

But I never used that, read the info on the youmagine.

I have managed to reduce the rattle by following this, it's not fully gone but no where as loud as it was,

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39491-very-challenging-gaps-between-infill-and-outline-solving#reply-175237

It was a real challenge doing it as one side grub screw would show but not the other but got there in the end and it must of needed doing as moving the head back to front its so much smoother now.

Afaik @labern fancap is pretty nice.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-dual-nozzle-fan-shroud

But I never used that, read the info on the youmagine.

Thanks I'll have a look at that one.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-mount-um2-olsson-block

I also found this one but in the comments it says to run PID autotune do you think it would really be necessary to do so?

Edited by Guest

If a fancap changes the PID then the fancap is sending air where it shouldn't...

Doesn't look bad. The e3d sock is a nice addition always...

Edited by Guest

If a fancap changes the PID then the fancap is sending air where it shouldn't...

I might give it ago (just putting the fan-mount on) can't hurt the worst that can happen is I put the original one back on.

Also want to thank you so much for your time in replying to my topics.

• Like 1

I might give it ago (just putting the fan-mount on) can't hurt the worst that can happen is I put the original one back on.

No problem I try to help, I always learn something out of it :)

Btw, just to be sure sure... Since you hold the fancap when it moves, maybe the sound comes from the linear bearings? Just to be sure before you disassemble anything :D

Anyhow, if bending a bit the metal fix it, at least you know that the issue is that and nothing else.

Cheers!

You can put a tiny bead of silicone sealant under the fan. You can pull the fans off later and leave the silicone in place but it provides vibration dampening. Even a bit on the screws helps.

No problem I try to help, I always learn something out of it :)

Btw, just to be sure sure... Since you hold the fancap when it moves, maybe the sound comes from the linear bearings? Just to be sure before you disassemble anything :D

Anyhow, if bending a bit the metal fix it, at least you know that the issue is that and nothing else.

Cheers!

bending the bit of metal did not fix it but doing a axis alignment (still might not be perfect as getting to some of the grub screws was a pain as I could not get both to show with the tool clicked in) reduced the rattle heaps.

Is there an easy way of checking the linear bearings to be sure its not them.

On one of my UM2 I had a weird sound coming from the same corner, left back. But it was rather a squeeking sound, like rubber tyres, or like chalk on a blackboard.

It was very hard to locate, as it seemed to come from everywhere around that corner. Eventually I found it came from the rubber belt (the one from the stepper motor) sliding agains the flanges of its wheels. Rubbing the side of the belt with silicon grease solved the problem. I used the thick, inert white grease that is also used in microscopes and binoculars, *not* silicon oil, and definitely not petrochemical oils (may damage the rubber).

I found it by manually pushing the belt sideways while printing a small piece, or while moving the head by hand.

Your sound is different, but maybe it could come from the teeth of the belt rubbing against the flanges?

Cheers!

Okay was in the process on putting an a differnt fan mount and well we can rule that out still makes the sound even with the fan mount off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSFoQgey3A

On one of my UM2 I had a weird sound coming from the same corner, left back. But it was rather a squeeking sound, like rubber tyres, or like chalk on a blackboard.

It was very hard to locate, as it seemed to come from everywhere around that corner. Eventually I found it came from the rubber belt (the one from the stepper motor) sliding agains the flanges of its wheels. Rubbing the side of the belt with silicon grease solved the problem. I used the thick, inert white grease that is also used in microscopes and binoculars, *not* silicon oil, and definitely not petrochemical oils (may damage the rubber).

I found it by manually pushing the belt sideways while printing a small piece, or while moving the head by hand.

Your sound is different, but maybe it could come from the teeth of the belt rubbing against the flanges?

just tried pushing the belt sideways while moving the head the rattle/grind is still there.

Wow.. Ok then let's get back to the pulleys slideblocks photos. If all that is ok I would remove the bearings of the hotend to check if they slide with that noise.

If the nozzle uses roller bearings (I don't know for sure), could a broken ball, or some debris that was picked up, cause this sound?

In my case, the sound came from this belt rubbing against the flange in the photo, but then on the other side of the printer, left back side, where its home-position is.

um2_belts.thumb.jpg.d1a96f9cd57f81ea5c0b67f99ab49a22.jpg

um2_belts.thumb.jpg.d1a96f9cd57f81ea5c0b67f99ab49a22.jpg

Exactly the same photo I stopped. I bet is the motor pulley is inverted, making an additional angle that forces the belt. Probably the belt slips and scratches something?

Exactly the same photo I stopped. I bet is the motor pulley is inverted, making an additional angle that forces the belt. Probably the belt slips and scratches something?

While moving the head i can't see the belt slip when it makes the noise.