change prime position to increase build space, ultimaker3

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · change prime position to increase build space, ultimaker3

As shown here you can simply change the prime position of your UM3, if you have a model that would otherwise not fit the buildplate.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39517-build-volume-obstruction#reply-175421

I tried a few positions and decided to go for this;

left: X from 170 to 218, Y from 6 to 1

right X from 182 to 230, Y from 6 to 1

This is a safe position on my machine, it's at safe distance from the glass-clip, the camera, and the head will not stick out the front of the machine, so you can still add a simple flat 'door' when closing the machine for ABS printing.

you could also choose to go even further to the front, but then you need to stay more to the left to avoid the glass-clip.

still safe distance to the camera;

5a33289962224_safecameradistance.thumb.png.c289b4f26f00707c210a937fed89d795.png

and the new resulting poop position;

poopposition.thumb.png.c2122a9436fae4c4537aa02b23469cb8.png

5a33289962224_safecameradistance.thumb.png.c289b4f26f00707c210a937fed89d795.png

poopposition.thumb.png.c2122a9436fae4c4537aa02b23469cb8.png

Edited by Guest

Posted · change prime position to increase build space, ultimaker3

mwaa, would be easier to do it from CURA.... but then again its hardly ever needed...

If you have to edit the json file anyway - it should be possible to enable the visibility (along the way)...

..."extruder_prime_pos_x": { "default_value": 170, "enabled": true },"extruder_prime_pos_y": { "default_value": 6, "enabled": true },...

extruder_prime_pos.png.4bb1714ad6af2ca288ec414450443cf3.png

extruder_prime_pos.png.4bb1714ad6af2ca288ec414450443cf3.png

• Like 2

I've been wanting to have the poop of the left nozzle at the far left where the right nozzle can't reach, and vice versa, but that idea kinda got lost along the way.

I'm currently at home, so I can't check.

What would be nice positions to prime?

I can fix that for 2.6

left: X from 170 to 218, Y from 6 to 1

right X from 182 to 230, Y from 6 to 1

The positions I now use, just behind the right bed clip seem to completely overlap with the glass-clip no-go-zone. Which is a bit strange as they are like a cm away from the clip.

There probably is no ultimate best position... but the ability to set them from Cura is very nice, though I can imagine before you add this function by default, you need to set some safety feature to avoid people to crash into the clips.

The prime positions have been changed to the sides. Yay!

• Like 1

Bump... thanks for pointing me from this post to this one, I now see with dual extrusion a collision happening when the second prime position is travelled to, the print head quite violently hits the prime poop already there. So now I wanted to have a look at changing the prime position, but I'm faced with this message: 5a33360029052_ScreenShot2017-04-15at12_32_02.png.170dc5a2dfe56711a6a60c7401e9146b.png I think I need to change some setting, but as of now clueless where to change it.

5a33360029052_ScreenShot2017-04-15at12_32_02.png.170dc5a2dfe56711a6a60c7401e9146b.png

See a few post up in this thread.... you need to change a few lines in the .json file.... the printer definition file.