Models Imported in to Cura a Fraction of their True Size

Danbell

Posted · Models Imported in to Cura a Fraction of their True Size

I'm using 2017 Inventor to create models (20-30mm scale) and when I export as STI files and place in to the Cura environment, they're tiny, 1-2 mm.

Never had this problem with 2016?

I have been scaling the models up but I really need to fix this problem.

Any suggestions?

Almost surely inventor is exporting in *inches*. Cura expects STL files to be in mm. The STL format doesn't specify units unfortunately.

Try scaling up by 25.4 exactly. Or when you export as STL check to see if there is a checkbox where you can specify the units to be in mm.

Wow. The simplest github project I've ever seen. Here is pretty much the whole plugin:

class BarbarianPlugin(Extension):   def __init__(self):       super().__init__()       self.addMenuItem(i18n_catalog.i18n("Convert to metric"), self.convertToMetric)   ##  Scales all selected objects by 25.4 (inch to mm)   def convertToMetric(self):       selected_nodes = Selection.getAllSelectedObjects()       for node in selected_nodes:           node.scale(Vector(25.4, 25.4, 25.4))

According to comments it works with Cura 15.X and 2.X!

And what cura folder does this go into?

• Like 1

Your configuration folder (Help -> Show Configuration folder) should already have a folder named "plugins".

I know this is a little late for a reply, but it ranks high in SEO and people might click looking for answers (like I did)

If you are using inventor. there is no need for any form of plug ins.

open your .ipt file that is set in inches.

go to TOOLS -> Document settings

under the units tab set "length" to mm (at this point all inches in inventor will be converted to mm)

To export

File -> Export -> CAD Format

Set save type to .stl, then click options, make sure the units read millimeters

Export .stl and you're good to go.

if you tend to be on the paranoid side.

Cura will give the overall Length width and height if a part, you can open up a drawing and measure your .ipt in mm to double check the sizing is correct in Cura.