Cura 2.5.0 and Nvidia GeForce Driver 381.89

markwal

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.5.0 and Nvidia GeForce Driver 381.89

Looks like the new Windows GeForce driver changed something that Cura's QT library is sensitive to.  Upgrading the GeForce driver seems to preserve OpenGL support for other software, but Cura refuses to boot saying:

"Unabled to probe for OpenGL support.  Cura requires at least OpenGL 2.0.  Please check your video drivers."

Or something close to that.  I downgraded to Nvidia GeForce Driver version 381.65 and it works, but my guess is that others will start seeing this problem.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.5.0 and Nvidia GeForce Driver 381.89

Thank you for posting that. I have been doing a lot of work and therefore not upgrading the driver even though it pops up all the time bugging me.

Now, I shall wait. Thanks!! :)

Windows 10 from 381.65 to 381.89. Hmmm... weird.

I wish I could find the reference, but I have read that Windows 10 has had issues with video driver upgrades.

FYI: I ran into similar issues with Intel HD4000 drivers on Windows 10.

The Device Manager said my Video drivers were 'up to date', but I found newer ones on Intel's web site. As I wanted upgraded OpenGL to use Cura enhanced Layer View, I upgraded it to Intel's newest.

That was a HUGE mistake.

Some stuff was fine: Simplify3D ran the same.

Other's Broken: Slicer took MINUTES to start and then very long times to load/view/slice anything! Paint.net just ran as slow as Photoshop. Ugh.

And it didn't help Cura at all - same OpenGL version :(

I downgraded back to the recommended Windows version and everything got back to normal.

So, it seams that if Windows says you're on the 'latest version' of a driver, what they really mean is you're on the latest version that actually Works with Windows...

Verified that upgrading to 382.05 (released on 5/3/2017, four days after my report) resolves this issue on Windows 10. It all works fine now.