Unnecessary PVA support on the outside of the part

Kortben

Posted · Unnecessary PVA support on the outside of the part

Hi

I have just bought an UM3 (upgraded from UM2+), and have now finished my first print with PVA support.

Can some of you tell me why Cura makes a lot of unnecessary support on the outside of the parts, when I´m using Extruder 2 (PVA) for support print?

/Best regards KP

2.thumb.png.2038b31a11778dc3eaeefaf91d2b5844.png

1.thumb.png.34ad5a3ba6bb515faea4501e8540aa40.png

IMG_20170523_213139.thumb.jpg.3f7271498be00604fbb630373a970a26.jpg

As an aside, I am starting to prefer the ooze shield to the priming tower. Does eat up a lot of PVA though. But, I am recycling it (PVA), so it serves other purposes for me too.

My ooze shield is not enabled but I still get unnecessary supports on the outside of the part... This is only with PVA. If I change support back to extruder 1 which is PLA the support is only where needed.

image.thumb.png.475f0dc8267121f847a4130f4cb4a39e.png

Change the horizontal expansion for the extruder that is putting too much on there. Also, check the angle differences between the two extruders that are default values when using support.

I also noticed this and reported on CURA github :

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5500

Answer so far is that is it a know but hard to avoid behaviour...

@Matioupi It's controlled by this, if you don't have it visible, search settings for it:

image.thumb.png.81c37452b438f6497c2e226d6a48c587.png

Infact, search for "horizontal expansion" to make sure you don't have the regular one set too.