Detection of cheap (chinese) Prusa i3 RepRap Machine - Solution

DoubleXMinus

Posted (edited) · Detection of cheap (chinese) Prusa i3 RepRap Machine - Solution

Hi,

I  ran into some problems while trying to use cura (2.4 as well as 2.5) with my cheap Prusa i3 RepRap Machine. The machine does not show up as connected USB-Printer in Cura.

Problem 1:

The USB-Controller would not be recognized as USBSER from Windows instead Windows will recognize it as VCP0-Device.

Fix 1:

So I changed the USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py to not only look for USBSER-Devices.

Diff for USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py (Cura 2.5.0):

263c263<                     if not only_list_usb or "VCP0" in values[0] or "USBSER" in values[0]:--->                     if not only_list_usb or "USBSER" in values[0]:

Problem 2:

Next problem i ran into was that the USB-Controller in my case does not run with a baud-rate of 115000 the controller I use works with a speed of 57600.

Fix 2:

Modification of the stk500v2.py, after timeout trying to connect to the USB-Device with a baudrate of 115000 retry it with 57600.

Diff for stk500v2.py (Cura 2.5.0):

31c31,33<             raise ispBase.IspError("Failed to open serial port")---> #Modified Exception to connect to other printers which use Arduino with a Baud-Rate of 57600>             self.serial = Serial(str(port), 57600, timeout=1, writeTimeout=10000)> #raise ispBase.IspError("Failed to open serial port")

This is more a dirty hack cause I used raising exception to try it with new settings. Maybe anyone has an better idea.

Maybe some admin sees this and trying to get this infos to the DEV-Team!

I would love to use cura ootb in future versions without dirty-hacking some files ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Detection of cheap (chinese) Prusa i3 RepRap Machine - Solution

Well, if you make a pull request regarding these changes they can be added to the release.

The other dev's don't look on the forum a lot, so github is the best place for this.