Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ana-mbh

Tall pieces get broken inside of the printer

Recommended Posts

Hi Community,

I have the ultimaker 3, and in the last tall prints that I have made I have found the print broken by half, its like the head of the printer would have hit the parts. You can see how in the picture. IMG_20170613_081033.thumb.jpg.8499793e1f64ff08ccbec3ad56295eab.jpg

I don't know why that is. It has happen printing with PLA and also with ABS. I know for sure that no one has touch it and now I am getting this error message: Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values

Does anyone know what happens and/or how to fix it?

Hoping someone can help :)

IMG_20170613_081033.thumb.jpg.8499793e1f64ff08ccbec3ad56295eab.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leveling issue:

Do a manual leveling to get it aligned within tolerance:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23127-build-plate-leveling

I usually do this and then do an active leveling because it is more accurate than I can do at this time. But it does require being close to level. Also, make sure your nozzles are cleaned and no material oozing out or collected around the opening causing a different measurement between nozzles. Both methods in link

Printhead colliding with models:

Print head can be hitting print if there is curling. Also, it looks as though your priming tower broke....it is prone to do that. Make sure you are on latest Cura and Firmware.

Cura

Firmware

I have moved further and further away from using the priming tower.

Different Materials will have different temps and fans and such, but the presets are very good to get you quickly in the ball park.

Edit: Oh yeah...also a good brim and adhesion method will help. Adhesion methods are things like Blue tape, BuildTak, PVA Glue slurry, hairspray, light salt water solution (research that because I am not familiar with its usage and materials to work with......I think it is geert_2 that uses that)

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you  for your comment

the firmware is now updated. and the printer is 3 months old.

I have wiped the tip of the nozzle and done a manual leveling, and then a active leveling too. the active leveling keeps giving the same error message: Difference between detected height of both PrintCores exceeds realistic values. I don't know why.

In previous prints it doesn't look like there is curling.

I have seen in some other thread that a guy changed the BB nozzle and placed the AA nozzle instead, and the problem was fixed. then he changed back to the BB and he says it's working fine.

Some other people suggest to just turn the active leveling off...

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
...I have seen in some other thread that a guy changed the BB nozzle and placed the AA nozzle instead, and the problem was fixed. then he changed back to the BB and he says it's working fine.

That would sound like the cores just need to be pulled out and reset. I can say that I have had to do this once or twice when changing cores. I just did not get it seated just right. One thing I found helps is to go to the system->maintenance-> and then do a lift test. I like the 30 second lift test as it seems to get it seated well.

Some other people suggest to just turn the active leveling off...

That is up to you. I just like it because I can active level while doing other prep work. I also pre-heat my plate while I am prepping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to see what it looked like just *before* parts fell over. If it broke part way up then maybe the part was underextruded at the break area. Or maybe it had a lot of overhang which makes the nozzle more likely to hit the part (over hanging edges stick up a bit - more fan helps reduce this). or maybe the part wasn't sticking well to the glass. This last issue - not sticking to the glass - is by far the easiest to fix but I'd like to know which of those 3 issues (or another) is the problem first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 2 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!