Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nandrews

Cura (14.07) printing a surround

I am a newbie to 3D printing and still using Cura 14.07 (as the printer maker supplied an .ini only for that version).

My initial print from samples supplied with the printer had a surround in which the printer extrusion was stabilized before it moved to the actual model.

I am now trying to use STL files and creating my own prints. But Cura doesn't seem to provide for the surround. So it goes straight to the model and for the first couple of passes the plastic is being dragged all over the place and not sticking.

Can anyone suggest (in 14.07) how I can get a surround to allow the extrusion to get sorted before it starts on the model?

Thanks

Nigel

P.S. If anyone has a set-up (.ini) for an AnetA6 printer and the current version of Cura?

No I don't think it is a skirt I am thinking of. That, I believe is attached to the model and help it to adhere to the print surface.

What I am looking for, my two test prints that came with the printer had a couple of passes around the edge of the model, but well separated from it.

It seemed to give the extrusion time to stabilize before it started on the actual model.

I could try using a skirt, but if that does not lay properly it might compromise the model to which it will attach.

Thanks

Nigel

A few outlines that are separated about 10mm (adjustable) from the print are called skirt. This can be enabled and adjusted via the expert settings (at least on Cura 14.09, so probably also on your version).

A very thin layer connected to the print to improve bonding of the corners and prevent lifting, is a brim. And a thick plate under the print, like a rough floor mat, is a raft.

• Like 1

So much to learn!

Thanks for that education.

Clearly what you said, a skirt, IS what I need.

Many thanks again

Nigel

A few outlines that are separated about 10mm (adjustable) from the print are called skirt. This can be enabled and adjusted via the expert settings (at least on Cura 14.09, so probably also on your version).

A very thin layer connected to the print to improve bonding of the corners and prevent lifting, is a brim. And a thick plate under the print, like a rough floor mat, is a raft.

Depending on how big the model's base is and the amount of filament leaked out during nozzle heat-up, it could take several skirts to get it flowing again. It's just something you gotta play with until you know how your printer operates and can intuitively guess how many skirts will be needed for a given print.