Editing Machine Settings Cura 2.6.0 Beta

ex-egll

Posted · Editing Machine Settings Cura 2.6.0 Beta

With Cura 2.6.0 Beta I can add a new machine with ADD PRINTER / CUSTOM / CUSTOM FDM PRINTER

I can now configure the printer, change the start and end code and save the results by hitting the FINISH button. Once the printer has been created I tried to change a couple of lines in the Start Code with

MANAGE PRINTER / MANAGE SETTINGS and then making the changes to the start code. Problem is there is no FINISH button so I can't save the changes. I'm I going about this the right way? If not, how can I edit the Start code and save it?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I had discovered that way, it just seemed odd that a direct edit of the file was not possible under Manage Machines. Was wondering whether it was a bug or by design. I've found it's actually quicker to create a new printer and copy / paste the data into it.

The "Close" button does the same thing as the "Finish" button

That's not been my experience unfortunately, every time I "Close", it closes but the changes are not saved.

Try the official release of 2.6 which is now available.

Try the official release of 2.6 which is now available.

Just downloaded and tried the official release, same problem.... any changes made are not saved after closing.

Aww... I had good hopes this was fixed.

Can you try pressing TAB after editing the gcode snippet and before pressing the "Close" button?

Note that instead of editing the json file, you can edit the much more human readable definition changes ini file. Go to Help -> Show Configuration Folder. In that folder, there is a "definition_changes" folder, and inside that folder there should be a file named *_settings.inst.cfg. This file should contain your edited gcode.

What sort of changes are you trying to make to your start gcode?

Excellent..... pressing TAB after editing, then pressing close saves the changes!

In the snippets am adding code to ensure that the Marlin UBL mesh is loaded from the EEPROM and then activating the UBL feature.

Many thanks

Ok, further to the last post, a few observations. After using the TAB trick, I now find that CLOSE on its own will save the changes, TAB is no longer needed. This is true after closing the programme and restarting it, and after rebooting the computer. No idea why but that is the case. I went one step further and did a clean install of Cura 2.6 and this time the CLOSE button worked fine, settings were saved and the TAB trick was not needed!!

There is one other oddity; Manage Machine Settings will allow me to change the Material Diameter, but I can not save it. If I make the change on the Print Setup portion of the main page it will be saved. Maybe that is how it is designed to work?

Once you change the diameter in the sidebar, that overrides the setting from Machine Settings (or from the material in the Materials pane of the preferences), similar to how what you enter in the sidebar overrides the current profile.