UM3 - filament type disappeared?!

rhoogenboom

Posted (edited) · UM3 - filament type disappeared?!

Hi, I've just experienced one of the weird things.

Last time I changed filament, I thought I was too quick and just fat fingered into the wrong type. Occasionally I twist and press, not just press.

So I put on an ABS spool but hit PLA,. I thought. So after it loaded, I thought, I'll reload it. Because otherwise Cura keeps questioning me.

Then it hit me: I've lost ABS, actually the only types left are PLA, CPE and Nylon,..

Also change type under material 1 does not show all types anymore. Only the above 3.

I restarted the printer (power off) but to no succes. It is only those 3.

I have not updated the firmware (unless Cura 2.6 just did that automatically and I didn't notice. I did just upgrade Cura)

See pictures. It's on material 1 and the firmware should be: 3.5.3.20161221 (cannot verify as I am printing now)

5a333c6142db3_Foto24-06-17195104.thumb.jpg.1ccb41114e7bd445582a3f3951e43628.jpg5a333c61c1732_Foto24-06-17195138.thumb.jpg.ebaff992b2f64977e195dfb28e244b7c.jpg5a333c60ba6e1_Foto24-06-17195137.thumb.jpg.3611549cc95b627c7c2a05fa68fcff4c.jpg

Any ideas?

Regards,

Richard

5a333c6142db3_Foto24-06-17195104.thumb.jpg.1ccb41114e7bd445582a3f3951e43628.jpg

5a333c61c1732_Foto24-06-17195138.thumb.jpg.ebaff992b2f64977e195dfb28e244b7c.jpg

5a333c60ba6e1_Foto24-06-17195137.thumb.jpg.3611549cc95b627c7c2a05fa68fcff4c.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM3 - filament type disappeared?!

Upgrade the firmware to the current 3.6.3. It's anyway no fault to do this.

Yes there is actually. You assume that any new firmware is an improvement of the old.

I actually downgraded a couple of months ago to this firmware. I had it for months, it worked flawlessly. Then it successor promissed some nice feature. Ok it was kinda nice to be able to switch the light off. (At night my office always looks like there is some alien spaceship landing going on) but the new firmware brought nothing but shitty wifi reception, every time I had to walk downstairs and the USB support was crap too. Unplugging and reinserting did not refresh the filelist on it anymore. So basically the only way to print was: switch the printer off and back on so it would read the USB.

And that I think is not acceptable.

But back to the problem: if there is no clear cause, there is no guarantee the new firmware solves it or would not experience the same issue in the future,..

But back to the problem: if there is no clear cause, there is no guarantee the new firmware solves it or would not experience the same issue in the future,..
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.

A good adagium, but here a system is broken and firmware v3.6.3 proved to be stable for more than 2 months now. The reported USB file problem was fixed in v3.6.3 within 2 weeks.

My guess is that Cura did break something. Cura doesn't update the UM3 firmware, but it does update the material profiles. Firmware v3.5 is old and not as good tested to work together with Cura v2.6 as the v3.6 firmware was tested.

My suggestion is to update the UM3 firmware and see if this fixes the issue. When not, report back here and we'll look into it further.

Alright, I've upgrade to the latest firmware. So far so good as I didn't have to walk down to authorize Cura.

I did start a job, so I'll have to wait until it finishes before I can see the settings, but I recon it's ok.

Thanks!! let's hope 3.6 behaves as it should.

And enjoy the new v3.6 features: light control and filament change during printing (besides a lot of small bug fixes).

FYI Cura pushes it's materials to the printer and could in a past version of the firmware overwrite existing material definitions, this can always be solved with a factory reset (or indeed a firmware update).