Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Possible to speed Cura 2.6 loading?

eldrick

Posted · Possible to speed Cura 2.6 loading?

Is it possible to speed 2.6 loading time? On my iMac it takes 30-40 seconds to launch, most of which is apparently spent "Loading Machines".

Is it possible to speed the loading time by removing the 99% of machine definitions that I will never, ever, need?

Yes.

Right click on the Cura.app application and select "Show package contents". Navigate to "Resources/resources/machines" and delete the .def.json files that you don't need, except fdmprinter.def.json and fdmextruder.def.json. Do the same in "Resources/resources/extruders" and "Resources/resources/variants".

Caveat: you will have to do this with every new version of Cura, and the application probably won't be signed anymore after you have altered it.

It should also cache them, so the second startup should be significantly faster.

Deleting the materials will have a pretty big impact on the speedup as well.

It should also cache them, so the second startup should be significantly faster.

Deleting the materials will have a pretty big impact on the speedup as well.

Caching does cut about a third of the time off for me: 28 sec 1st time, 19 secs 2nd time.

Archived