Problems viewing forums via mobile

LePaul

Posted · Problems viewing forums via mobile

This keeps happening to me on my iPhone 6 using Chrome. Perhaps others can tell me how it works for them...

On my iPhone, I go to Ultimaker.com and wait a long time because the animated printer takes forever to load. Then, one I click on the menu to sign in, I again experience a long pause trying to access a keyboard to input my email and password. After all of that, I attempt to view my dashboard (notifications) and I get a "Snap! Something went wrong." and a prompt to reload.

I've tried it on my cellular data and on wireless network. Both fail.

Can someone tell me how to improve my mobile experience here :)

Hi @LePaul, we're working on making the site faster. We're planning on doing a server migration this month so hopefully, you will benefit from this rather soon.

I think this is also the reason why you get the snap message, perhaps loading the site took too long. Is it equally slow on your cellular data and network?

I think 'father time' (is this an international figure?) will contribute most in improving your mobile experience.

To make the site faster, and to reduce your server-load, I think it might be a good idea to make all animations and all films "on-request", instead of autoplaying. Provide a button which the user has to push. And only then the film or animation should be loaded from the server and executed. Provide a static low-resolution JPG-image as placeholder: this loads very fast.

The first time people arrive at your site, they will want to see the animations. But after they have seen it once, it becomes an annoyance.

Also, mobile devices may not have enough resources and RAM to play videos or big animations; this could be the reason it doesn't work for some.

Further, I would suggest you use standard fonts that are available on every computer (Windows, Mac, Linux), instead of loading custom fonts from the web. This will also greatly reduce loading times, and server load. And it will increase stability.

For example, define fonts as: "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif". Or similar. I prefer a boring Arial that loads fast and is guaranteed to show up correctly, rather than a nice font that is slow and may not display correctly on my system or browser.

• Like 1