New Printer doesnt see its bed size correctly

srosefx

Posted · New Printer doesnt see its bed size correctly

Hi all.

I have just finished assembling a UM2 extended+ the machines inability to bed level is driving me nuts.

when the head moves to level the bed instead of moving to the limits of the bed it treats the bed like its a quarter of its size, when it moves to the second leveling position on the right it moves to the middle of the bed. and prints 25% of the size.

What am i doing wrong? ive set cura machine settings to the correct bed size, but if i cant level when i first switch on correctly what can i do?

ive searched everywhere for an answer i tried all day yesterday, but its findin the correct term to use in google all i can find when i search is people questioning the UM2's printable area!!

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

There's a feature called microstepping and another feature called "steps/mm". One of those 2 things is off.

There *might* be a jumper to set the microstepping on the board. It's supposed to be set to 16 microsteps per step. steps/mm can be set either in the configuration.h file before building or alternatively if you have tinkermarlin you can set it on the front panel.

The Z axis *definitely* has a jumper to switch between 8 and 16 steps and it's near the center of the board and sometimes people connect their fan to it by mistake. It should be left open.

Hi thanks for the reply

I tried adjusting the micro stepping via pronterface using gcode m350 command is that right? m350 x16 y16

nothing changed.

i still get the head moving to 50mm on xy axis when i hit the red target button in pronterface.

I don't know that board so I can't help you but even so I'm 90% sure that jennyPrinter board will only control microstepping with jumpers. Probably near those 5 stepper drivers. Marlin does support M350 but not for all stepper drivers. Definitely not for the stepper drivers that come with UMO, UM2, UM3. I didn't google 8825 though. But if it didn't do anything then it's not supported (but you might need capital letters so try that also M350, not m350).

It's great that you have pronterface going! Instead/before homing you can move axes. So move one axis at a time.

for example center all axes and then:

G92 X0 (tell the printer X axis at now at position 0)

G0 X10 (tell printer to move X axis to the right by 10mm.

Then measure to see how far it moved. You can't update microstepping through marlin (I don't think - certainly not the marlin that comes with um2) but you should be able to set steps/mm through gcode M92. (not to be confused with G92 above).

For example:

M92 X80.1 sets the X axis to be 80.1 steps per mm.

Guys I have the same card, with the same configuration. I find myself with the same problem written above. How did you solve it? Thank you very much and happy 2019