CuraEngine command line: use Cura .cfg

lormar98

Posted (edited) · CuraEngine command line: use Cura .cfg

Hi,

I'm working with Cura (2.6.1) under Windows. I have created a custom machine profile and some material/quality profiles.

Slicing with the Cura GUI is going well.

Now i want to automate things, i.e. i want to use CuraEngine to slice my STL files into gcode.

To do this i would have to use many "-s" commandline options to specify the non-default slicer options (a look into cura.log reveals that it is calling CuraEngine with about 330 "-s" options, for example).

Now the question is:

Is it possible to use the Cura(-GUI) generated profiles (.cfg files) instead of listing them one by one on the CuraEngine command line? It seems that there is no commandline option to specify Cura profiles :-(

Or is there some other way like generating a list of "-s" options from the Cura profiles?

Edited by Guest

Posted · CuraEngine command line: use Cura .cfg

@nallath should be able to answer this. But why not just cut and paste the 330 -s options into a script and be done with it?

Also I think there is a way to pass a file with parameters instead of passing them on the command line.

The frontend doesn't just use just one file. A single extrusion machine can have: User, quality_changes, quality, material, variant, definition changes and definition.

Settings are handled in a stack like way; If a setting is set in the user profile, that value is used. If it isn't there, the value of quality_changes is used (and on until definition is reached, at which point the default is used).

You could create a custom definition file where you set the defaults to what you want, but this is a bit tricky for multi extrusion machines.

We tend to use bat/shell files with certain settings to slice them if we don't want to use this method.

Essentially yes, but the GUI does not use the command line interface. Instead it uses a protocol based on google protobuf to communicate with a CuraEngine process that stays running while the GUI is open.

How can I generate a .bat file to pass at CuraEngine about 300 parameters instead of use -s option?

Can you send an example ?