Insert gcode on Layer X

ManuelW

Posted · Insert gcode on Layer X

Hey there,

is it possible in Cura, to add a gcode command on a special layer or height?

I like the post processing plugin, but i can't do it with it. Is there another way?

Posted (edited) · Insert gcode on Layer X

Yes i did and it works, but i have to set everything on every print.

I'm looking for a possibility to set a gcode snippet and then only to say insert thins on layer 40, or layer XY ...

As example, i have a third fan and i want him to blow on layers with small details. So i want to tell simply: power on at layer X; power off at layer Y; on again on layer Z

I know i can do it with search and replace and i do it this way, but maybe there is a more simpler way.

Edited by Guest

I know i can do it with search and replace and i do it this way, but maybe there is a more simpler way.

No, as far as I know, there is no simpler way

Posted (edited) · Insert gcode on Layer X

I'm bored and this sounds interesting.

It could be as simple as a bunch of options like:

At Layer [ A ] do [ gcode ]
    At Layer [ B ] do [ gcode ]

Or, something smarter like: Turn on Fan if Layer uses less than N.nn mm of filament.

Or maybe that's not exactly what you're looking for.

@ManuelW , contact me via PM if you want to discuss further. I may be able to help.

Edited by Guest

Hey DaHai and Manuel,

Did this conversation bear any fruits?

I am searching for a tool that does exactly what you are talking about. I've been using the Search and Replace so far, but it's got to a point where is just painful to have to repeat the same process for every print.

Because every gcode file is different you are going to be stuck customizing each one.  There is no "Easy" button.

The Search and Replace is the simplest and since the Search and Replace plugin accepts multiple commands you should be able to do it without too much pain.

Search = ;LAYER:125

Replace = ;LAYER:125\nM106 S255

and then another instance of Search and Replace:

Search = ;LAYER:126

Replace = ;LAYER:126\nM106 S0

By taking "LAYER:xx" out and then putting it back in you can search the gcode easier to make sure it's all good.

If your firmware supports M32 you may be able to have a standard routine that you can call.  You would still need the Search and Replace plugin to get the M32 calls into your model file.

Search = ;LAYER:125

Replace = ;LAYER:125\nM32 P !FanOn.gco#

and another instance of Search and Replace

Search = ;LAYER:126

Replace = ;LAYER:126\nM32 P !FanOff.gco#

FanOn.gco and FanOff.gco would be gcode files in the root directory of the SD card.  They can contain whatever you want to run.  M32 is supported by Marlin on my Ender 3 Pro.  I'm not sure about other printers and firmware.