Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
qwertyharry

Ulticontroller pauses and displays "wait for user" after M190/M109

I'm not exactly sure if this is a Marlin issue, or an Ulticontroller one.

I'm using Marlin configured to use a heated bed, otherwise standard.

I have been experimenting with print start gcode and put together the following to extrude a bucket of plastic in a nice fat line to ensure a properly primed print head.

When I load this file into pronterface and hit print, it works as expected, but if I load it onto the SD card and print from there, it pauses midway and displays "Wait for User" on the Ulticontroller LCD until I press the button on the front, then it continues.

The point at which it pauses like this is sometimes when the bed reaches temp on the M190, sometimes after the M109, sometimes after both, one time it made it to the next coommand after that (G1 Z1) and then paused. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? I have never seen this before, even though I am only using the same commands which are normally spat out by Cura and Kisslicer without issue. Could it somehow be caused by editing the file in notepad?

M92 E880.000

G28 X Y ;home XY

G90 ;Absolute positioning

G21 ;set units to mm

G92 X0 Y0 E0 ;set axis positioning to X,y to 0, E to 0

G1 X120 ;move to x =120

G28 Z ;home Z

G92 Z0 ;reset Z value

;

;

;set temps

M190 S90 ;set bed temp and wait

M109 S230 ;set temp and wait

;

;

G1 Z1 ;raise Z to 1

G1 X90 E6 F500 ;controlled movement using feed (F)

G1 X30 E20 ;controlled movement using feed (F)

;

G28 X Z ;home XYZ

G92 E0 ;reset extruder value to 0

This is caused by "bad" gcodes - for example non-ascii characters.

The "M" command by itself is the same as a "M0" which is the standard pause command. "M1" also is a pause command but I'm not sure if it's implemented in Marlin.

So I guess I would blame your editor. Maybe need a sophisiticated editor (like notepad++) that can show you which characters are non-ascii. Or maybe you need an extra simple editor (like notepad from windows 95?) that doesn't know how to do non-ascii characters. Notepad from windows XP and newer I believe is in between those 2 levels of sophisitication - just smart enough to wreck your file but not smart enough to show you what it did visually.