Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

I did not know that PVA could be purchased in bulk liquid form and is used in the fiberglass industry for a mold release agent

Can be sprayed on with and aerosol spray system. Check out this web site:

PVA Video

Interesting that it's used as a release agent in that industry, but we use it as a means of improving build plate adhesion.

• Like 1

You don't even have to buy it - just use the PVA solution you get from postprocessing your UM3 prints with PVA. ;)

That is what I do. And, I gots 5 GALLONS of da stuff waiting to be brushed on my build plates. If you are using PVA in your printing, that stuff is expensive and why waste it? Plus you have complete control over viscosity.

As a bonus, I even have an extra thick container of da stuff so's that I can use it as a masking agent for painting.

Well it seems everyone has missed my point. I'm well aware of the ability to make a solution of PVA from left overs. I just thought it's "interesting that it's used as a release agent in that industry, but we use it as a means of improving build plate adhesion".

Just idle musing on my part . . .:)

Well it seems everyone has missed my point.  I'm well aware of the ability to make a solution of PVA from left overs.  I just thought it's "interesting that it's used as a release agent in that industry, but we use it as a means of improving build plate adhesion".

Just idle musing on my part . . .:)

HA! I did miss that part about the Fibreglass usage. LOL

Thanks for pointing that out :) I truly did not know that. Idly muse away :)