U2 motors not working

andy1583

Posted · U2 motors not working

Hi,

I have an U2 here with absolutely no functional motors. The heaters are still working, but any time I try to do anything that involves moving the build plate or print head, the printer throws back a Z switch fault.

The switches appear to function correctly (there is continuity between the appropriate pins when it's pushed or not).

I would see if updating the firmware will fix it, or use pronterface, but the printer isn't connecting via USB either.

I've tried a factory reset, but now I'm stuck on the part where it wants me to calibrate the build plate, but gives the Z switch error instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

@andy1583:

Did you get a "Z switch broken" (ER05) or "Z switch stuck" (ER06)?

Did you already made the tests, that are recommended on the error descriptions (https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/19488-z-switch-broken-or-z-switch-stuck or https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23150-the-z-axis-is-stuck-or-the-limit-switch-is-broken)?

Have you recently disassembled anything on the printer? Do the motors move okay by hand?

If so, check if there are no pinched cables behind a cover or something along these lines.

The switches appear to function correctly (there is continuity between the appropriate pins when it's pushed or not).

Does that mean, that there's always continuity - regardless of the switch state?

I have already done the tests, I get 'Z switch broken', I can hear the switch click when the screw comes into contact with it.

I can move the motors by hand with no problems.

No pinched cables, I'd not disassembled it recently up until I had the issue, I have now though, checking to see if there is any damage and to test the switch.

As for the continuity, I meant to say that the continuity switches along with the button press, so the connection shifts either side of the middle pin when the button is pressed.

If one of the safety jumpers it out, with the UM2 you should see a Safety Circuit error. If this was a UMO+ I don't think it presents the safety circuit error, but you'd encounter the same issue whether the motors don't move.

I had a similar issue, ER06. 

Yesterday I decide to make a maintenance in my UM2 because I'm having some bad quality prints in Z and X,Y axis. So I disasembled my Z-rod for cleaning propose (with teeth brush and them a bit of Magnalube) and when I reasembled I feel like the bed is moving freely... maybe I miss some step when I reasemble that? I tryed to take off the white cover but I quit in the middle of the way since I realize that belts are a bit loose and retight it. 

I checked the board and Z-swith (is that the black one right) it is fully inserted, I take it off and re-inserted again. Same stuff, ER06. 

So... I will take a photo of the bottom of my UM2, someone please check if it's missing some screw or if I put those in a wrong hole? For this time I didn't film or took photos during the disasembling as I always do 😕

Thank you by the way...

Posted (edited) · U2 motors not working

video uploaded in google drive showing the bed moving freely:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_E4eLdPHT7iI9UyjTxR3vblgcO0iS5c

Is this the Z switch?

ZSwitch.thumb.jpg.01f2ec10b53ba806b430ec4961e962ff.jpg

Is this black wire the one that I should check?

blackWireZstop.thumb.jpg.7537a14cc2926751f2f500527be0de66.jpg

I moved the printer and I heard something moving inside... Is there something to hold the Z-rod inside the with cover at the back?

I tryed to find limit Z switch in github https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2 but it's not there... or it's with another name. I also was lookin for some nut inside the back cover without sucess: 

I hope anyone can help me on that. Cheers!

ZSwitch.jpg

blackWireZstop.jpg

Edited by fergazz
    photos

Solved. Details here: