Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bolen22

Newb in need of help

My wife has me on a custom cookie cutter apple mission for our kids' starting school. It looks good in sketchup and shows good graphically in cura, but it's printing the "empty" parts of the model and not printing solid parts? I created in sketchup and printing on a lulzbot taz 6. I think maybe i need to reverse all faces in sketchup? Thank you

Look at it in cura in xray view and if there is any red you have to fix that first. Red can mean there is a hole in your model or (more likely) an extra wall that you didn't notice. Inside the model. Or two walls in the same spot. Making it confusing which locations are supposed to be air and which solid.

Also consider unchecking everything in "fix horrible" (assuming you have cura 15.*). In cura 2.* it's called something like "mesh repair" maybe?

Also you want the walls twice nozzle width. So probably .8mm minimum thickness walls. If not the walls of the cutter won't print at all. Maybe. Sometimes it prints if wall is .4mm but sometimes not so keep the wall at .81mm thick minimum. Or keep wall at .8 and adjust your nozzle width to .35 for a test (and your shell to .7mm or .35mm). This wall stuff again assumes cura 15.*

Solid inspector should get you going on that design. But from now on I would suggest you don't use sketchup as it produces all sorts of errors. There are a lot of other design software packages that are just as simple to learn that save hours of error fixing.