Printing only lower part of an object

DonTenge

Posted · Printing only lower part of an object

I am quite new to 3D printing and wander if it is possible to print only the lower part of an object without turning it around. I know it is possible to print the higher part by changing the Z-axis.

Cut it up in a 3D Package? Use the Pause at height plugin to stop the printing at a certain height?

But, I would just turn it around and let the flat part sit on the plate and be super smooth.

• 5 weeks later...

Kind of late reply but if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future here it is.

What I have done is use Meshmixer. It usually can't do much without messing it up completely and is kind of cumbersome to work with. But it has been very good at cutting objects in half.

• 1 month later...

In simplify3d you can split your model at a spcific layer if you like.

This is mainly for having different settings for specific parts of your modell, but you could also stop print at layer xy.

For example sektion A is layer 1-88.

Sektionn B 89-200 and sektion C 200-250.

You can stop at end of A