Cura 2.7 First Impressions

kmanstudios

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.7 First Impressions

I had not downloaded and tried the beta for a variety of reasons. I woke up with a headache this morning (3AM) and saw the notice that 2.7 was released.

So, I installed it and wanted to put out a couple of first impressions:

1. I do like the Cura Dark. I am a bit light sensitive and this makes it easier on my eyes. Thanks!

2. Loaded a project and for some reason, it seemed to be loading much faster than the previous version (2.6.2) and that is a plus.

3. Seemed to slice a bit faster too.

4. Seemed to shave a lot of time off the project's expected print time. Previously 169 hours; now 1.57 hours. Will see if it does really shave the time off, but a 12 hour difference is welcome if it can be extrapolated backwards a bit, realizing that it would not be linear in time savings due to a lot of variables in prints and requirements. But, time saved is always appreciated.

Have not had time beyond this go deeper, but as usual, unhid all controls to play around with.

So far, so good. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Cura 2.7 First Impressions

The speed increase with the project loading is not something intentional. There have been changes there, but those were all bugfixes. I'm glad it's faster now, but i have no idea how this happened.

As for print time increase; This is one of the major reasons to update Cura regulary. We constantly improve our printing profiles. Although it's something that isn't noticed a lot, it is one of the major reasons why UM machines work so well with Cura.

Well, I gotta tell you, I just revised the Nautilus King (Put on a mohawk) which means that it has an increase in geometry (still optimized it) but I loaded it anew and it just flew into the buildplate area, so, definitely an increase of load speed and slight speed of time slicing.

Mo' time savings = mo' fun :)

Edit: Layer display seems a bit crisper. May be the change from white to dark, but I can discern the details a bit better.

Edited by Guest

My anti-virus will not allow it to be installed

Seems like I have to remind Ultimaker about this every...darn...version....

We don't control this. We report Cura to the virus scanner, but it's up to them to flag us (or not). I understand your frustration, it's also bloody annoying for us.

We don't control this. We report Cura to the virus scanner, but it's up to them to flag us (or not). I understand your frustration, it's also bloody annoying for us.

The only way to get around this is to right click on the Cura installation file and "Run As An Administrator".  If done this way, you at least have the options to veto what Microsoft and the anti-virus (in my case, TrendMicro), want to do.

After the installation,once run, the battle continues, trying to convince the AV the file is OK to execute. I'm sure every AV is different but wow, every install is a struggle.

Edited by Guest

After the installation,once run, the battle continues, trying to convince the AV the file is OK to execute.  I'm sure every AV is different but wow, every install is a struggle.

Is your virusscanner in this list:

https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/c268e75980b631bfdd26c32018bdf3b148875833abacd43e986712642e2fcb1b/analysis/