FILAMENT_SENSOR in Tinkergnome

friedsemicon

Posted · FILAMENT_SENSOR in Tinkergnome

Hi everyone,

good evening ;)

I've been printing with my trusty UM2 for a while now, but there's something that i'm missing.

A sensor that pauses my Print and lets me change the Filament, when it runs out.

I want to use a mechanical NC-Endstop-Switch (normally closed) and later on, i might switch to an optical Sensor, depending on how well the mechanical one does.

20170906_205403.thumb.jpg.a3b70040867b26b7e316bb40b775da82.jpg

I don't want to use Octoprint(for now). And Tinkergnome seems to support it.

See:

...community/17860-ultimaker2marlin-and-filament-runout-sensor

Part of Pins.h in Tinkergnome 16.08.2:

#ifndef FILAMENT_SENSOR_PIN#define FILAMENT_SENSOR_PIN         -1  // PC7 = D30; PD7 = D38#endif

Is there some guide on how to connect my switch to the UM2-Board and how to activate it in the Firmware?

At the moment I'm still using the original UM2-Marlin.

Thank you very much. :)

Greetings

friedsemicon

20170906_205403.thumb.jpg.a3b70040867b26b7e316bb40b775da82.jpg

Posted (edited) · FILAMENT_SENSOR in Tinkergnome

Afaik all is explained in detail in this link

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/7436-more-information-during-print?page=10#reply-120082

Also ofc you will need Tinkergnome firmware to make it work

Thank you for your reply, I've already seen the Topic on the Forum.

The "Instructions" are not that detailed. They are using a sensor called "Tunnel", which does a little bit more than detect outage of Filament. It also detects filament movement, it's connected to J23, which consists of 3 Pins(PC7, +5V, GND).

So can I even connect a mechanical switch without electronics? Do i need an NO-Switch instead of my NC? Do I need something fancy like a Drop-Down-Resistor(like this)

Sadly, i still don't understand how to realise that function.

Edited by Guest
    switched switch-types by mistake; and grammar

So can I even connect a mechanical switch without electronics? Do i need an NO-Switch instead of my NC?

It depends... :) The firmware feature works quite simple. In normal operation PC7 is either connected to +5V or not connected at all (it uses the Arduino-internal pullup resistor). As soon as PC7 is connected to ground (during printing from sd-card) the print will be paused. That means: your sensor has to connect PC7 with ground to trigger the pause, it doesn't matter how this is done.

• Like 3

With your mechanical idea, you need an NC when you switch the ground to PC7. But you can also use an NO when you switch the +5V.

The best way in my opinion is to use the NC with ground.

Every thing else has Tinkergnome described.

• Like 2

@Tinkergnome & Novastorm

Thank you :-D

I see, my NC-switch (that I already have) will do quite nicely.

(since it will be triggered, when filament is present = open)

You helped a lot, I'm going to try it out, as soon as I designed myself a mount for my bearing and switch.

Greetings friedsemicon

Danke ihr Beiden, sehe gerade, dass ihr auch aus Deutschland kommt ;-)
    Ihr habt mir echt geholfen
    Gruß friedsemicon