How to create a 3d model of my own

Posted (edited) · How to create a 3d model of my own

Hi

I just got my printer and its probably the cheapest one but anyway I have been able to find pre designed 3d models to print which I load to the SD card or to Cura but I have not been able to figure out how to design my own 3d models to print yet using my PC. How do I go about doing this? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to create a 3d model of my own

The first question is "What type of modeling?"

For mechanical, I would suggest something like Design Spark Mechanical (Free).

For organics, it gets a bit more crowded, but you could try Blender or B4Artists (A variant that is supposed to be more user friendly).

I know a lot of people use Sketchup, but it presents a lot of issues with 3D printing.

Then there are low cost programs like 3D Coat.

The first question is "What type of modeling?"

For mechanical, I would suggest something like Design Spark Mechanical (Free).

For organics, it gets a bit more crowded, but you could try Blender or B4Artists (A variant that is supposed to be more user friendly).

I know a lot of people use Sketchup, but it presents a lot of issues with 3D printing.

Then there are low cost programs like 3D Coat.

Great thanks.

@BarryEgan I'd advise you to avoid Sketchup for 3D modeling. It's not made for that at the moment. The 3D files created by Sketchup have quite a lot of problems when converted in files that can be understood and read by 3D printers.

Blender is very good, but it has a quite steep learning curve when you want to go beyond basic shapes. Fortunately, it also has tons of resources online and a thriving community able to help, as long as you are proactive and do a bit of research beforehand. Many of the questions a new user has have already been replied to, you just need to search in the various forums and sites dedicated to Blender.

I'm not personally familiar with other programs, so I can't give you any advice on the rest.

Posted (edited) · How to create a 3d model of my own

The best starting-from-ground-zero design program is on the web at TinkerCAD

It is free, easy to understand, and surprisingly powerful. You can also import .stl files from other sources and modify them.

Edited by Guest

@kmanstudios,

I'm trying to figure out what is this "B4Artists" that you mention. Couldn't find it on Google. Do you have a link so I can check it out?

@kmanstudios,

I'm trying to figure out what is this "B4Artists" that you mention.  Couldn't find it on Google.  Do you have a link so I can check it out?

You cannot find it because I am a doof with no brains.......

I do not know where I got the name with the 4 in it....it is really bforartists.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused......

I was at the Fat Cat FabLab mixer last night (sponsored by Matterhackers and Ultimaker) and heard about Morphi. I have no experience, but it does output to 3D Printing. They have several versions and this is the link.

Seems cool and developed with the beginner in mind as it is being used a lot in schools and such.

Nice discussion going on. You want to create a 3D model of your own. But sorry to say that I have no idea regarding this. But I suggest you to go through Iannone3D, Online 3D Printing Service and Rapid prototyping Service Provider of New Jersey area. Hope you got benefited by this. Thanks.

Does anyone know where a person could get MAC compatible software for initiating your won creations then save that file for use with Utimaker?