Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
BarryEgan

How to create a 3d model of my own

Hi

I just got my printer and its probably the cheapest one but anyway I have been able to find pre designed 3d models to print which I load to the SD card or to Cura but I have not been able to figure out how to design my own 3d models to print yet using my PC. How do I go about doing this? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

The first question is "What type of modeling?"

For mechanical, I would suggest something like Design Spark Mechanical (Free).

For organics, it gets a bit more crowded, but you could try Blender or B4Artists (A variant that is supposed to be more user friendly).

I know a lot of people use Sketchup, but it presents a lot of issues with 3D printing.

Then there are low cost programs like 3D Coat.

The first question is "What type of modeling?"

For mechanical, I would suggest something like Design Spark Mechanical (Free).

For organics, it gets a bit more crowded, but you could try Blender or B4Artists (A variant that is supposed to be more user friendly).

I know a lot of people use Sketchup, but it presents a lot of issues with 3D printing.

Then there are low cost programs like 3D Coat.

Great thanks.

@BarryEgan I'd advise you to avoid Sketchup for 3D modeling. It's not made for that at the moment. The 3D files created by Sketchup have quite a lot of problems when converted in files that can be understood and read by 3D printers.

Blender is very good, but it has a quite steep learning curve when you want to go beyond basic shapes. Fortunately, it also has tons of resources online and a thriving community able to help, as long as you are proactive and do a bit of research beforehand. Many of the questions a new user has have already been replied to, you just need to search in the various forums and sites dedicated to Blender.

I'm not personally familiar with other programs, so I can't give you any advice on the rest.

@kmanstudios,

I'm trying to figure out what is this "B4Artists" that you mention.  Couldn't find it on Google.  Do you have a link so I can check it out?

You cannot find it because I am a doof with no brains.......

I do not know where I got the name with the 4 in it....it is really bforartists.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused......