UM2: ball bearing replacement

eliasheuninck

Posted (edited) · UM2: ball bearing replacement

Hello!

My Ultimaker 2 makes a creaking noise when the head is moved on the Y axis. I think the sound comes from the ball bearing at the far side of the left panel. This doesn't have an impact on print quality, but it doesn't sound healthy.

What specifications should I keep in mind when ordering a replacement ball bearing? It seems to have a ridge on one side to prevent it from being pushed through the side panel.

I assume I can slide the axis out to the right side when I loosen the screws on the pulleys.

Thanks!

Elias

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...
    Posted · UM2: ball bearing replacement

I have the identical sound. Also has no effect on print quality so I have been putting up with it for ages, but very annoying.

Looks like it's the the bearings closest to the stepper which go first - they have more force on them from the belt.

I know it's a few months late for you, but for anyone reading this here is the spec for the 8 shaft end bearings

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1220_Ball_Bearing_F688-2RS_(x8)/catalogus Specsheet 1220 Ball Bearing F688.pdf

That's a great resource! Thank you!

Didn't know about it!

I listened more carefully and it seems to be the left X-axis guide-block that's creaking.

I'll go have a look on the github to see if I can find the component.

Thanks for chiming in!

ultimaker-2-axis-1500x1000.jpg

It's very hard to tell where it's coming from in there, the sound bounces around. In fact this is my oldest UM2 (march 2014 !!) and I have just been giving it some love. I have just replaced the bushes in those blocks too. It didn't make any difference to the sound or performance, but I had black residue building on the shafts, I think the bushes were starting to break down.

However try loosening the 4 screws securing the stepper motor, and then tension the belt (or loosen it) - if you have the same issue as me you will be able to tell straight away. If I loosen the belt the noise pretty much disappears,  when I tighten it gets really bad.

I have ordered just 2 of those bearings, so I will replace them and we shall see. If it's not that, then it's the stepper itself.

I know! It's indeed hard to know where the sound is coming from. 

I checked the github and found the PDF's for the sliding blocks and the assembly guide.

There I saw the sliding blocks only house copper bushings and the belt tensioning spring.

I can't imagining the creaking comes from those components. 

I'll try loosening the stepper motor mount and see what changes.

Thanks a bunch for the pointers!

I hope the bearing replacement goes smooth!

If you take that black sliding block apart you will almost certainly never get it back together.  Basically taking it apart breaks it.  But you can buy new ones from your reseller if you contact them (probably not in their store but they can get them).

Thank you for the warning!

Is it the black block? Or is the sound coming from the rubber belt rubbing agains the flanges of the pulley wheels? I had the last problem in the back left corner. But it was very difficult to find the exact location of the sound. While printing a tiny test piece in a corner, try to carefully push the belt sideways. In my case this made a big difference to the sound. Or manually move the head when the printer is switched off, and then gently push the belts and blocks sideways to find the cause.

My solution was to carefully lubricate the edge (only the edge, not the flat part or the teeth) of the rubber belt with inert silicone grease. The sort of transparent white grease that is also used on car door rubbers in winter.

Do not use petroleum oils and greases on rubber belts: this may damage them. Silicone grease is much more chemically inert.

Thank you for the feedback!

Hmm... More poking and listening coming up!

Posted (edited) · UM2: ball bearing replacement
    3 hours ago, gr5 said:

If you take that black sliding block apart you will almost certainly never get it back together.  Basically taking it apart breaks it.  But you can buy new ones from your reseller if you contact them (probably not in their store but they can get them).

yeah I think what you are referring to here is that it's very difficult to get it apart without breaking the clips. I have a couple of broken clips now. My blocks are mostly holding together but I will get a couple of replacements.  Tools I had were 2 small flat screwdrivers and an engineers scribe. You need to ease the clips up gently with one screwdriver while levering the halves apart with another -(after you have managed to create a gap- that's where the scribe come in)

What you might expect from clips like this (what I expected) is that when you ease the clip apart the block will pop open...no. The internal interconnecting pins are quite tight, so you need to ease the clips AND force it apart. And the clips are delicate.

If you have 3 hands that will probably also help ?

Edited by z-axis-3d

Update on this. I replaced the bearings nearest the stepper pulleys and it made no difference.

I am now convinced that it's the belt on the pulley itself that is making the noise. I tried moving the pulley laterally to make sure the belt was not riding up the side of the pulley- that seemed to make no difference either, but applying a little pressure to the belt while it's turning and you can feel and hear the noise worsen- in fact you can feel the vibration of the belt running onto the teeth

I can only imagine that the belt has stretched so the teeth are not meshing perfectly causing this noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQDUXFeQZ4dg49868

This is a terribly late reply, but 2 days ago I installed new belts and the creaking sound is completely gone.

Earlier, I replaced the two back-bearings, but that made no difference.

3 hours ago, eliasheuninck said:

This is a terribly late reply, but 2 days ago I installed new belts and the creaking sound is completely gone.

Earlier, I replaced the two back-bearings, but that made no difference.

A few years ago I lubricated the edges of the belts with hard silicone grease, with the same effect: sound gone. It seems to be the edges running agains the flanges that cause it. Only lubricate the edge, not the belt tracks, otherwise they might jump teeth. And don't use petroleum or plant or animal oils or fats: these might damage the rubber. Hard silicone grease is chemically almost inert, and it does not leak away. It is the same sticky stuff used to lubricate movements of binoculars and microscopes, in which you can't have oil leaking onto the lenses.

• Like 1