Ultimaker 2 with 2 nozzles

savak001

Posted · Ultimaker 2 with 2 nozzles

Hi

Please help as I'm doing my head in trying to resolve an issue.

I have an Ultimaker 2 that has been up graded with two Olsson Blocks, two Titan extruders and TinkerGnome firmware to permit dual printing.

Dual printing works fine while using PLA in both extruders and Cura 15.xx

I want to print with PVA as support material, I know this can be a difficult procedure.

I've installed Cura 2.7.0 which allows a different print speed for printing support.

The issue is when I try printing the machine always uses the PLA for support that is in extruder 1 not the PVA in extruder 2. How do I tell Cura 2.7 to use the second extruder for support?

If you can help I welcome or point me to various threads on this forum that covers these issues.

Thanks

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

it seems like you already have a working (DIY) printer definition with two extruders, right? I would use the search bar in Cura to search for "support" :) This shows up all related settings, including support speed and support extruder.

support_settings.thumb.PNG.e9116f7f1dbaa543a83544988c50453a.PNG

Hi Tinkergnome

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did a search as you suggested and this showed up

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.a9d7010a4c1db86aaa6d19ca07eb92f9.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.24db811673eadc550f6173f3a6e45533.jpg

What version of Cura did you get the values from and what machine was used?

Thanks

Graeme

What version of Cura did you get the values from and what machine was used?

My screenshot is Cura 2.7, Ultimaker 3.

Looks like a single extruder machine in your case, or the visibility of this setting is disabled (you can check the latter by a click on the small gear icon).

If you're in need for a dual extruder machine definition for Cura 2.7 / UM2+ you can start with the Mark2 definition. You probably have to adapt the start script, but apart from that it should be pretty close to your needs.

Don't expect great prints with your setup (i think you already know the problems with heat transfer and inactive nozzles scratching the surface...) - but you asked for Cura, not for the hardware setup... :)

I redefined the machine set up in 2.7.0 and got the second extruder settings for support and selected successfully. But the printer still only prints with one nozzle, I can swap the extruders round and the support, which is on the second extruder, prints OK. So I must be missing something else.

The images below show the current setup.

3.thumb.jpg.c7d74d72ceeb31ac17a0322a493a6080.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.6d8f2fb46543ab71b065685c3e5c744f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c7d74d72ceeb31ac17a0322a493a6080.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.6d8f2fb46543ab71b065685c3e5c744f.jpg