Nylon usage...

Clancey

Posted · Nylon usage...

I've read up on Nylon as it was going to be my choice of material before I'd bought my machine. I've done all my testing with PLA for this project so far, and now it's time to do a full run with the Nylon.

I kind of took most words of 'difficult to store' with a pinch of salt, but there's no point in wasting the material, so I really ought to take care of it.

It is really as sensitive as reports suggest? One night out in the open air is going to make it unusable? This being the case I'll need several rolls which I'll be rotating around the kitchen, front room and workshop!

I have taken the precaution of buying a load of little gel sacks and vacuum storage bags, and I will remove the material when I can, but this current run is going to finish at 4am and I'm not setting an alarm to come and rescue the stuff!

So, what are your folks experiences, good and bad? Just so I can gauge where I'll be on the spectrum, usually quite low on the luck scale!

Thanks.

Posted · Nylon usage...

All filaments marked as being susceptible to moisture are such. They all need to be kept in a dry box or sealed bag with desiccant. There is not false info in those warnings. Too many people ignore them and then blame the printer or software.

Posted · Nylon usage...

In injection moulding, all manuals clearly state that you carefully have to dry the materials (usually ABS, nylon, PC,...) before starting to mould. Otherwise your models will be ruined. There is no reason why this should be different for 3D-printing with the same materials.

But you really should try it: cut off 50cm of nylon filament, leave that out in the open air for a day, or let it sit in water for an hour, and then feed that manually into the nozzle after removing the bowden tube. And compare that with a dry piece of filament fed through. You will clearly see the steaming, and hear and see the bubbling of the moist filament. Then inspect the extruded sausages under a microscope or under a big magnifying lense.