Profile and settings confusion

jotto

Posted · Profile and settings confusion

I'm a bit confused with the precedence of the settings in the profile vs the material (Cura 2.7 for Windows).

I have selected CPE as material. According to the print settings, default temperature is 240 degrees. Retraction distance is 2 mm:

materialsettings.thumb.jpg.f73e5291af95746e6c4640223e9f4144.jpg

However, the print setup says 245 degrees and 6.5 mm retraction distance. The actual print temperature is 245 degrees.

printsettings.thumb.jpg.7ea1ea1f5863ef8d744504ac388b086f.jpg

The temperature and retraction settings are not overridden in the profile as far as I can tell:

profiles.thumb.jpg.0a95871c5079dbf6694412d954e56b12.jpg

Bonus question: are the default profiles (normal/fine/fast/extra fine) loaded from the machine settings when I first connect to the printer?

Can someone shed some light on this please?

materialsettings.thumb.jpg.f73e5291af95746e6c4640223e9f4144.jpg

printsettings.thumb.jpg.7ea1ea1f5863ef8d744504ac388b086f.jpg

profiles.thumb.jpg.0a95871c5079dbf6694412d954e56b12.jpg

Posted · Profile and settings confusion

No settings are loaded from the machine. Cura is in control of them. In some cases settings do get sent to the machine, but never the other way around.

As for material temps; Materials have a "default" temperature. Certain qualities will modify them (and use the default temp as a base). Retraction is something that is overridden by the quality profile. Cura uses a "stack" approach to settings, so the top most setting holds the used value. As the quality (even though it depends on the material) is above the material, it's settings get overridden.