Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Ziogianni84

Um3 prime tower

I want to report my experience with a long print (48 hours) using PLA+PVA after installing the new testing fw 3.7.7.98 + new Cura 3. Here it's:

nvd4aw.jpg

The prime tower definitely failed, I don't know if it's matter of PLA not sticking to PVA or something else but I'm continuously cleaning up the build plate from blobs and strings supposed to be part of the prime tower.

If any suggestion, please share.

Well, believe it or not, I stopped using the prime tower a while back for these following reasons:

1. Wow, did it add a boat load of time to the printing.

2. Wow, did it just waste a lot of filament and wasting PVA really sucks.....

3. If I wanted to really protect the model I will use the ooze shield. It is much more reliable.

4. Playing with the settings bit has made the clean up of things much easier and really not that bad to do.

But, that is just me........

Well, believe it or not, I stopped using the prime tower a while back for these following reasons:

1. Wow, did it add a boat load of time to the printing.

2. Wow, did it just waste a lot of filament and wasting PVA really sucks.....

3. If I wanted to really protect the model I will use the ooze shield. It is much more reliable.

4. Playing with the settings bit has made the clean up of things much easier and really not that bad to do.

But, that is just me........

What kind of setting should I tinker to make things tidier?

Using ooze shield can help. But I also started to play a lot with the temps and speeds to make things less of an issue. For instance, I print a lot of my PLA about 5°C lower than spec'ed. That helps a lot. You have to play with temps of the PVA to find out the same way as it will have a lot to do with humidity levels and such of your environment. PVA is just a pain to print with compared to other materials.

I still have to clean off stuff on the z-seam where it drags a bit of filament onto the surface, but it is not so bad as having giant spaghetti threads attached or having the waste of time and filament of the prime tower.

Edited by Guest