Zaxis starts print 3cm above platform (not calibration fault)

ben_vdv

Posted · Zaxis starts print 3cm above platform (not calibration fault)

Hi everybody,

First of all, this problem is not a callibration fault. Every other print starts perfectly fine.

I'm trying to print the bottom plate for the quadcopter on thingiverse. (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49634) Slicing in cura seems ok, no errors.

Then when i start the print: Zaxis reaches 0, moves up a bit (like it normally does), extrudes a bit, then starts printing +- 3cm above platform! (Ulticontroller Zheight 0,3)

Could it be that the bottom plate is too big for the ultimaker?

Cura info: X=204,79mm; Y=134,71mm Z=19.04mm

if you open the file in cura you'll see that the Xdimension is really at the edge of the platform... and there is no room for the 1st outher line the printer usually makes...

I don't really want to rescale the bottom plate because all the other parts are all printed.. :)

Any help would be great!!

thx, Ben

I had a similar thing happen the other day, I was trying to print something right on the 205mm size limits and the Ultimaker was hitting the X limit switch and did exactly what you are seeing.

Try printing without a skirt or rotating the print around 45 degrees so the longest dimensions point to the corners of the print bed.

I hope that makes sense

Bob

I recommend you move whichever axis is hitting the limit until it hits the limit and note *exactly* how much you can move the axis before it hits the limit. Then before printing your gcode make sure it doesn't hit that distance using the methods Bob mentions (turn off skirt, rotate part).

I had a similar thing happen the other day, I was trying to print something right on the 205mm size limits and the Ultimaker was hitting the X limit switch and did exactly what you are seeing.

Try printing without a skirt or rotating the print around 45 degrees so the longest dimensions point to the corners of the print bed.

I hope that makes sense

Bob

Thx Bob,

Sometimes the solution is very simple :)

Turning the print 45degrees did the trick! And prints fine as you can see.

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Ben_Vanderveken/media/bottomplate_zps7ca154d6.jpg.html

Maybe Cura should build in an error message for this problem...

thx for the input people!