Solid parts

simonp

Posted · Solid parts

Hi, I am having problems producing solid parts - even with 100% fill selected it makes voids in some of the sections. When choosing 100% fill what should the wall thickness be set to? To my mind if you select 100% fill then wall thickness becomes irrelevant or am missing something??

Posted · Solid parts

sounds like there could be a problem with your actual 3d model !

If you have seperate elements intersecting one another in your model, and try and print. you will get zero space intersections and they wont be printed.

So my best suggestion would be to go back into your model, choose the intersection elements, use a Bolean join objects command and then do a fresh STL export.

That can help a lot !

Ian :-)

Posted · Solid parts

Ian thinks you mean larger voids. I thought you meant pinhole voids. Best to post a picture.

Everytime cura crosses a wall boundary in your STL it alternates fill versus hollow - that is what ian is talking about.

pinhole voids can be underextrusion or loose belts - posting a picture will help diagnose.

wall thickness determines how many times cura loops around your walls. .4mm and it does it once. .8mm and it does it twice and so on. If infill is 100% .4mm is usually enough although .8mm might possibly make for nicer looking walls. Maybe. Or maybe worse. Wall thickness affects inner walls and exterior walls. When you slice the model in a 2D plane then it thinks about walls. Inside walls are also called "loops" and outside walls "perimeters". If you have two passes or more passes on a wall e.g. .8mm, I believe the inner loop is considered a "perimeter" for other cura settings.

So wall thicknesses countour to your part. Infill is always on the diagonal path. Not a lot of difference but it is a difference.

Posted · Solid parts

The 'perimeter' is the outermost exposed lines of plastic that forms the surface of the print. This will be on the outside for sure, but may also be on the inside of your print, depending on your object. Eg, a cup which is modeled as an STL with a thin wall and a hollow space inside has one perimeter around the outside of the cup, and another around the inside of the cup.

If you specify a wall thickness that is a multiple of your nozzle size >=2 (e.g., a 0.8mm wall thickness, with a 0.4mm nozzle) then the extra passes that the head does around the boundary of the layer are 'loops'.

Once the perimeter and loops have been drawn, any other solid parts on the layer get filled in with diagonal hatching (solid infill). Cura has a problem where sometimes it doesn't fully fill in small spaces with diagonal hatching. This is called the 'thin wall' problem, and may be improved by just having a single perimeter (setting wall thickness = nozzle size).

You can also get gaps between the infill and and perimeter/loop due to backlash - caused by your belts being too loose, and causing the head to not quite travel as far as it needs to when changing direction at the end of the infill passes.

Posting photos will help us diagnose the problems better.

Posted · Solid parts

Wasn't there a skeinforge bug with 100% infill for a while? I think it was only with 100% hex infill, but I forget the detail.

If it's a small part that prints fast, try it once at 99% and see if that helps?