Upside down elephants foot.

Clancey

Posted · Upside down elephants foot.

I don't have much experience with ABS, this is Ultimaker filament, Ulti 3, with Rigid settings, the only change I made to defaults was to turn off print cooling, which I've read somewhere helps stop abs shrinking too quickly and popping. I'm not sure how true that actually is.

Apart from the print quality being a little ropey, which doesn't matter for this piece, I'm a bit confused with the bottom of the part which appears to have shrunk over night! The part had popped off the bed, but the large brim had kept it down so there's no curling of the edges, just this odd small foot print. I've used some other makes of abs which either just will not stick, or curl horribly.

Are there any tips/tricks to keeping this effect under control?

Many thanks.

IMG_6071.thumb.jpg.944b06e2545a653438f3fdd8f51bba69.jpg

IMG_6071.thumb.jpg.944b06e2545a653438f3fdd8f51bba69.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Upside down elephants foot.

The weirdness never seems to end. I had all sort of issues even after using my printer for years! I had something similar at the top of my prints and sometimes double elephant feet at the bottoms, but I print in PLA. ABS was just a headache and gave up after like 7 or 8 prints and I've never looked back, but if you have no choice...

1. Definitely print with the fan off, and try to print in a room with consistent temps maybe close of the open print area a bit too like cover the machine with a big card board box (i know it sounds crazy!)

2. I used ABS paste which is just melted abs in acetone spread ultra thinly across the glass using a tissue or something. but that was 3 years ago maybe there is something better now?

3. That way the base of your model 'cant' shrink as yours has done, as it won't come off the glass unless you prize it off. So you'll be able to start narrowing things down and hopefully find a solution.

4. enjoy your print!

5. clean the paste off the plate with washing up liquid with warm or cold water, it will come off very easily.

Hope that helps a bit....but again thats coming from a PLA purist! even though I did get a few perfect looking ABS using this method.