Get Cura to load faster...

Thomllama

Posted · Get Cura to load faster...

just did this little video on how I about halved the load time of Cura 3. This is on Mac, Not sure where/how on a PC/Windows machine as it's been a long time since I bothered with one but I'm sure someone can easily figure it out and post up, or make a video (make a vid and I'll link mine to it) anyway... check it out if interested...

Posted (edited) · Get Cura to load faster...

A few things to clarify that you weren't sure about:

• Yes, this works and some people at Ultimaker HQ have also done this to their installations.
    • On Windows, you can delete these files from C:\Program Files\Cura 3.0\resources. On Linux it's a little bit harder, but the AppImage file is effectively an ISO image so you could open them with an application that edits those and re-package the image.
    • The extruders won't influence the loading time very much. The bulk of the loading time is the synergy between definitions and materials (they multiply with each other).
    • You can delete the Cartesio extruders as well if you don't use the Cartesio printer. It doesn't belong to Custom.
    • Removing the firmware, translations or meshes won't influence loading time. They aren't used at start-up (except the currently active translation, but you need at least one).
    • You could also delete some quality profiles and variants. Similar to the extruders it won't influence the loading time much, only slightly.

For version 3.2 I'm preventing the other printers from influencing the start-up time. It effectively only loads the metadata, which it needs to show the printer list at the start. Most importantly, it removes the multiplication of profiles caused by the definitions and materials. These are the feature_local_container_server branches on the Cura and Uranium repositories: here and here. Right now it takes about 1 second to go through the "Loading machines" stage of the start-up on my computer, down from 15.

Edited by Guest
    Fix list; I'm used to ReST...
    • Like 2

A few things to clarify that you weren't sure about:

• Yes, this works and some people at Ultimaker HQ have also done this to their installations.
    • On Windows, you can delete these files from C:\Program Files\Cura 3.0\resources. On Linux it's a little bit harder, but the AppImage file is effectively an ISO image so you could open them with an application that edits those and re-package the image.
    • The extruders won't influence the loading time very much. The bulk of the loading time is the synergy between definitions and materials (they multiply with each other).
    • You can delete the Cartesio extruders as well if you don't use the Cartesio printer. It doesn't belong to Custom.
    • Removing the firmware, translations or meshes won't influence loading time. They aren't used at start-up (except the currently active translation, but you need at least one).
    • You could also delete some quality profiles and variants. Similar to the extruders it won't influence the loading time much, only slightly.

For version 3.2 I'm preventing the other printers from influencing the start-up time. It effectively only loads the metadata, which it needs to show the printer list at the start. Most importantly, it removes the multiplication of profiles caused by the definitions and materials. These are the feature_local_container_server branches on the Cura and Uranium repositories: here and here. Right now it takes about 1 second to go through the "Loading machines" stage of the start-up on my computer, down from 15.

Cool! thanks for the extra info! looking forward to the update.. I have another rather major issue though, which seems to be getting worse with each new update and getting to the point Cura is nearly un usable.. the stupid spinning beach ball ever single time I adjust a setting!! I understand it's partially my older computer and slower/limited graphic engine (guessing here though) but honestly there isn't anything all the high demanding that Cura should be doing in that area.

I have another rather major issue though, which seems to be getting worse with each new update and getting to the point Cura is nearly un usable.. the stupid spinning beach ball ever single time I adjust a setting!!

I thought that's the main reason why "Slice automatically" can be disabled in "Preferences" for recent versions of Cura. Or does it not help?

I thought that's the main reason why "Slice automatically" can be disabled in "Preferences" for recent versions of Cura. Or does it not help?

ya, but no... it's still doing the spinning beach ball either way. :/ thinking it's a graphic card/engine thing.. but I don't see hoe the limited interface needs such high draw on graphics .. it's rather monotone and simple (which I like by the way)

Nope. That actually doesn't add that much load.

thinking it's a graphic card/engine thing..

Again a nope. Settings can depend on other settings. So certain changes can trigger a large number of other updates. For some reason not all machines handle that as gracefully.

Hiding some settings that you don't use should speed this up.

thinking it's a graphic card/engine thing..

Again a nope. Settings can depend on other settings. So certain changes can trigger a large number of other updates. For some reason not all machines handle that as gracefully.

Hiding some settings that you don't use should speed this up.

Hiding setting has zero effect on the beach ball spinning. it does it even in the basic startup simple window with just the 2 or 3 controls. It's actually why I went hunting and discovered the start up speed thing deleting files. It does make sense, but even changing things that should have zero effect on others sends it into spring hell. Often can't even like change a temp setting as it goes into spinning for each and every input. want 220º? delete old (spin) type 2(spin) type 2 (spin) type 0 (spin) then when I scroll it spins once more. I get it's trying to pre set everything, but I wish it would stop, let me do my inputs and when I hit the "slice" button actually do the calculations and stop wasting it and my time during input. does that make sense?

I just want to say thanks for site. I am new, got a printer sat, downloaded CURA3.0.4 , figured it out (a little), and printing stuff off thingverse etc. next day. I have a lot to learn but so far, the learning curve is not exponential.