Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nzo

UM2 and UM2+...differences in mechanical maintenance?

When I search the forum with UM2+ as one of the keyword targets, the results are usually mean and lean. But there are many results for UM2. Can I assume that UM2 and UM2+ are self-similar? For example: belt tensioning.

I don't yet have any concerns about my UM2+ belt tensions but would like to know how to tighten them successfully. Is there a product-specific link where I can find this info?

Thanks.

Hi @NZO, some parts are similar, in the core mechanics the machine is the same. But there are some impressive differences in the 'drive train', which starts at the feeder all the way to the nozzle. The other parts are more or less the same unless my memory fails me.

A short summary of the differences in case you missed it;

- feeder is upgraded to a geared and improved feeder,

- bowden tube is the same.

- print head housing is glass filled, therefore stronger (before it could snap if the thumbscrews were too tight),

- improved fan brackets,

- more silent fans I believe (but position also improved sound)

- stronger heater (40W I believe)

- more accurate PT100 (build differently)

- spring is replaced for a spacer, which makes your PTFE live longer,

- PTFE is also made of a different material, glass filled too,

- Olsson block (swappable nozzle) included by default.

I think those are the mayor (all?) differences.

Belts are the same. In the sliderblocks should be an auto tensioner (nothing too fancy, a spring). If your belts are not slacking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you Sander! That's useful info. BTW, I noticed "improved sound" in your post. I'm severely deaf so for me the UM2+ is completely silent! My eyes, ESP and Xray vision make up for it :)

I can see PLA filament cracking as it happens... ... ...

I would agree it already is fairly quiet, but I suppose things could always be quieter :) What is ESP? And even Xray vision.. but I can also see PLA crack if it is brittle enough :p