Karam

PVA flaky crackling

Posted · PVA flaky crackling

I'm using Ultimakrr PVA on my U3 BB core.

Recently as it discharges I notice its more flakey and whiter than normal. Also I hear cracking sounds as it hits the heated bed.

What could be the cause?

Too hot core temp maybe? Although it's on recommended settings.

Regards

Karam

I would bet dollars to donuts that it is a humidity issue.

The material is very hygroscopic and will just suck it out of the air. The popping/cracking sound is the moisture boiling out in tiny bubbles as it gets heated.

The white flaky bits are the result of this as it introduces more air into the layers as it is built up.

Hi

Almost any time you hear "snap crackle pop" as the filament extrudes, it's moisture. There are number of ways to try to dry out filament. I prefer a vacuum pump and sealed pot.  I use a very modest amount of heat ( = a warm room, not a hot plate). Some filaments will dry pretty well in a few days. Others seem to take a *long* time. Mr Google will supply you with lots of details .....

Bob