rattle from belt

djs

Posted · rattle from belt

Have you recently lubricated the printhead shafts and perimeter rods on your printer?

How long have you been printing on the machine?

Are the screws that hold your fan bracket screwed in tight?

Do your long and short belts both look tight?

Do you hear the noise when moving the printhead by hand, or only when printing?

We have had the printer for almost 2 years.  We lubricated and tightened fan bracket screws.  Belts seem okay and I can duplicate the noise when I move the printhead by hand.  Noise only occurs when moving in the X axis. 

It may be worth unseating the printhead from the printer (tilt the sliding blocks to pop the printhead shafts out). Then just move the printhead shafts through the printhead by hand to see if the noise is coming from the bearings in the printhead, that way you're listening for it in isolation.

Then move the sliding blocks by hand (with the printhead still out of the printer) so you can listen to the belts in isolation.

This should let you confirm whether the issue is the belts or bearings. How many print hours are on the machine?

Okay, 

I popped the slide rods and print head out.  The sound is not coming from the print head.  It is definitely coming from the back slide, or X axis.  How can I check if it is from the bearing or belt?  I am assuming that would be the next step...

If you think it might be the bearing, you could try putting a drop of sewing machine oil on the frame bearing and see if it helps. Otherwise, I'd go ahead and tighten the short belt. Do you have a video of the noise?

A 10 second video would be extremely helpful in diagnosing this.  Although most sounds are probably harmless things.