Installing Monoprice Mini printer on Cura 15.04.6

Posted · Installing Monoprice Mini printer on Cura 15.04.6

I just downloaded from the Monoprice site, updated profiles for cura, but I have no idea what folder I should install it in.

the files are printer definitions as a Json file

and two folders with cfg files, one for magic layer hight and one for traditional layer hight.

Like i said I'm using Cura 15.04.6 and windows os.

Thank you in advance, 

Sram

With file explorer go to the Windows (c:) directory then the Users folder and select your profile directory. You want Appdata\Local\Cura\. You will see two folders “machine_instances” and “quality”. Your printer definition file goes in the first and your .cfg files into the 2nd. Now historically this has changed a bit and I do not have 15.04 installed on my PC so I cannot be 100% certain but I think what I have just said is correct.

You will probably see a printer definition for the Ultimaker in the machine-instances folder and some .cfg files in the quality folder. If not then I have got it wrong!

Hi Yellowshark, 

Thank you for getting back to me.

seems like your suggestion doesn't apply, I couldn't find CURA under Appdata\Local\

I did find .cura under Users\"user name"\.cura\15.04.6

but there were only ini files.

I have also found cura folder in program files\cura_15.04.6 but none of the folder in it correlated to your suggestion nor did the have cfg / json files.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled cura but that didn't change anything.

Lol seems I was a bit out of touch! I have just installed 15.04.6. Firstly the printer defn. I cannot find where it is installed but it is easy to create it yourself. Select machine(menu item)\add new machine\Other\Custom  then answer the questions - no doubt you will find te answers in your printer manual if you do not know them already.

Now the .cfg files. You can store them anywhere you want and then when you load Cura, select File(menu item)\Open profile and an explorer dialogue box is displayed so you can select your profile. But old Cura does not use .cfg files it uses .ini files. I guess you have two options. 1. rename the files to .ini and see if 15.04.6 will read them. 2. Open the files  with a text editor and try to pick out the information and enter it directly into Cura; thne select File(menu item)\Save profile and the settings will be stored for you and available the next time you need them.

Ok, that explains it, 

I'll play with it and see what I come up with.

Cheers, 

Ok looks like I needed to change all the files to ini 

Um, no.  You can't just rename a json file to ini and have the old cura suddenly know how to read json files.  The difference between cura 15.* and 2.* was a MAJOR rewrite.  There's not much code in common in these profile/config/setting files.

Cheers, 

gr5, guess I'll have to look at the file and put it in manually.