Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
adshale_de

UM3 Auto Levelling Not Working

Hi,

My company bought an UM3 before Christmas, and I have been asked to look after it.

Since purchase, I have had an issue using the auto bed levelling. It appears to be using the raise print head lever the wrong way around. Manual calibration works perfectly.

When levelling either head, it pushes the head into the bed with such force that it compresses the bed springs fully. it appears it is trying to calibrate the 1st head, using the sensor on the 2nd. Similarly, when the 2nd head is lowered, it tries to calibrate using the sensor in the 1st head. It's almost as if there is a bit set incorrectly in a configuration somewhere.

The recent firmware update hasn't made any changes (apart from a new issue with network connectivity, which multiple people are having).

I'd really like to get the automatic levelling sorted, as ultimately I am not going to be at my company for too much longer (I'm a placement student). I would need to hand this over to someone, and if they have to manually calibrate every time, this is quickly going to become problematic.

Thanks.

Ads

Hi, 

This is a similar issue I've experienced before. The heads don't have separate sensors. The way the leveling works is that the capacitive sensor is used to detect the glass bed, however the software only detects when the capacative reading stops changing. (i.e when the bed contacts the nozzles the sensor reading stops changing and it knows it is in contact) 

How ever if the bed screws are wound right out the bed is very high off of the aluminium plate then the nozzles will contact the glass before the system starts to look at the measurements and it continues to push into the glass. 

The simple solution, wind the bed down a few turns on all of the bed leveling screws and try again. The nozzles should not be touching the glass when the bed has rapid-ed up, and before the bed is moved slowly up to touch the nozzles. 

If the issue continues you may have a defective sensor, which I have heard of before. Also check there is no debris on your nozzles or glass bed. 

• Like 1

Hi, it would help if you could share the log file with us. You can send it to me directly via a direct message and attach it to your message. 

- wrong info -

Was there also an error message on your screen?

Thank you! 

9 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi, it would help if you could share the log file with us. You can send it to me directly via a direct message and attach it to your message. 

You can subtract it via: Cura setting: regular fan speed at height. 
Was there also an error message on your screen?

Thank you! 

I'm not sure I follow you. How does the "regular fan speed at height" give me the information on bed levelling? The default is set at 0.57mm for "Regular Fan Speed at Height".

In terms of error message, I only get an error on the printer, stating that the difference between head height is too large when I do automatic levelling. As far as I am aware, this is on the printer itself, and not in Cura (therefore I have no log to send over).

I've manually adjusted the bed today, so that the three screws are tighter, and the bed sits much lower. Automatic levelling ran, and uses the "correct" head for reference. However, once auto levelling had completed, when printing on the bed the head collided with the bed, and failed to print anything at the front or rear of the model, with only the left 1/3 and right 1/3 of the first layer being printed. I thought that this was just an issue with the first layer, but having left it for a while it was clear that it had not referenced the level of the bed correctly.

I have manually levelled the bed again, and have started a large job, which unfortunately is going to take 4 days to run...

On 8.01.2018 at 5:29 PM, SandervG said:

That is weird, I thought I was replying to a different post. Whoops, too many tabs open. My apologies. 

The log file would still make sense though. 

Hi! I have the same problem with my UM3, however the active levelling has been working properly for over half a year now. Today a scheduled levelling occurred and the bed started to push the printcore 2 its absolute limits, then the bed lowers down and approach the printcore once again. I had to power off the printer as it was not responding for the abort command.

What could be the problem? Can the sensor be damaged? I would really rather not send the printer back to my reseller as I really need it right now.

I have attached logs from my UM3.

ultimakersystem-ccbdd300321d.4.2.5.20180102.boot-1.log

ultimakersystem-ccbdd300321d.4.2.5.20180102.boot0.log

Hi @Tomasz_M, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we'll be able to offer you some help here. Our product experts took a look at your logs and it looks like after 30 seconds your capacitive sensor failed to provide any feedback. After 30 seconds the Ultimaker stops trying. This should not be harmful to your printer. 

You could check if the wires below are still connected properly or if you see any damage to the wiring (Older Ultimaker 3's may have black wires). 

Inline afbeelding 1

Make sure you work ESD safe (ESD= electrostatic discharge) The sensors are sensitive.

29 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi @Tomasz_M, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we'll be able to offer you some help here. Our product experts took a look at your logs and it looks like after 30 seconds your capacitive sensor failed to provide any feedback. After 30 seconds the Ultimaker stops trying. This should not be harmful to your printer. 

You could check if the wires below are still connected properly or if you see any damage to the wiring (Older Ultimaker 3's may have black wires). 

Inline afbeelding 1

Make sure you work ESD safe (ESD= electrostatic discharge) The sensors are sensitive.

Hi, I have taken out PrintCores and tried to use a multimeter to check the connection. It came out that the sensor cable is damaged and completely cut off from the sensor board. See photo below:

IMG_20180205_131747.thumb.jpg.899ebb6671853024c2fbc94233d4b032.jpg

How do I fix it? Can I solder it, or the temperature will melt the solder during print? The cable is rather to short for any other fix. Can I disassembly the print head? What about my warranty in that case?

Yea, that looks like it won't work. Sorry for the inconvenience! You may be able to solder it or disassemble the print head, although such actions need to be discussed with your reseller first. It is up to them to decide whether the risk is too big and they prefer to do the repairs themselves, or if you can do it yourself with some guidelines. 

So I would recommend to reach out to your reseller with this photo and ask if you have permission to repair it and/or how to move forward.

Good luck!