Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jschwar

Issue with running Cura while connected to the internet

I am using Cura to slice for an Ultimaker 3. For some reason, Cura becomes unusably slow (having to wait for a minute or more between mouse clicks) when I have it connected to the internet. As soon as I disconnect my computer from the internet, it returns to the normal speed. I assume this it has something to do with Cura trying to connect to a service and getting a bad response? Either way, this issue happens on both my macbook and PC, as well as across Cura versions (I have tried 2.3, 3.0, and 3.1). 

Disconnecting from the internet to use Cura works in the meantime, but it means I cannot view my printer over the air, nor send prints wirelessly. It would be nice to have this functionality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jschwar said:

I am using Cura to slice for an Ultimaker 3. For some reason, Cura becomes unusably slow (having to wait for a minute or more between mouse clicks) when I have it connected to the internet. As soon as I disconnect my computer from the internet, it returns to the normal speed. I assume this it has something to do with Cura trying to connect to a service and getting a bad response? Either way, this issue happens on both my macbook and PC, as well as across Cura versions (I have tried 2.3, 3.0, and 3.1). 

Disconnecting from the internet to use Cura works in the meantime, but it means I cannot view my printer over the air, nor send prints wirelessly. It would be nice to have this functionality.

Did you turn OFF automatic slicing? Turning that off only helped a small bit. Cura still bogs down with every mouse click, even when a model is not loaded.

Edited by furdterguson

I tried this and there was no improvement.  Without looking at the Cura code itself, I noticed in the logs there are communication requests to the printer, which it obviously needs for the monitor aspect. Is it possible this is what is slowing it down? Could there be a way to toggle the feed/communication? Perhaps have it send a picture every .5 second versus video?

Cura is loading the stream if you try to monitor the printer, but should close it when you aren't looking at it. But yeah, that's not something it does over the internet but the local network (hence me asking about the update, as that's the thing that actually connects with the internet)

Edited by nallath

With a wirelessly connected printer and a wirelessly connected computer in a school setting (large network), is it possible this is causing the issue?  I can do things on the internet/computer just fine, but whenever the wireless network adapter is active, Cura dies.  I started Cura 10 minutes ago and the processes are active in task manager, but Cura has failed to pop up yet.

So I went through one by one and disabled the different plugins that may be connected to the internet. It appears the one that is most taxing on the system is the "OctoPrint connection".

Here is the rundown of the slicing time for one of my parts:

All plug-ins enabled: ~54 seconds 

OctoPrint disabled: ~4.5 seconds

OctoPrint + update checker disabled: ~4.5 seconds

OctopPrint + firmware update checker disabled: ~4.5 seconds

OctoPrint + update checker + firmware update checker disabled: ~3.7 seconds

Offline Speed: ~3.5 seconds

Although Cura is not as fast to respond as no internet connection, disabling OctoPrint speeds it up dramatically. Disabling both the update checkers seem to add a slight edge as well, making it usable once again.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2