Cura - Connect to UM3E

kcel

Posted · Cura - Connect to UM3E

Hi,

I run Cura on a Windows 10 machine hooked to wifi, my UM3E is hooked up to the same wifi network.

Every time I either restart Cura, or restart my UM3E I have to go to Manage Printers and establish the connection to the printer by using the IP address.  I've assigned a fixed IP address to the UM3E so it is the same all the time.  I'm assuming this is not normal.  I would like to think that once I add the printers network info to Cura it should 'stick'.

Also, when I go to the "Connect to Network Printer' screen and click Refresh, I get a dialog with no content except a Cura title bar, and nothing seems to happen.  When I close the dialog box, Cura itself shuts down.  I'm assuming this is also not normal.

Any ideas where these problems may be coming from?

Cheers!

I hadn't realized there were log files.  Took a look and found this entry which seems to indicate the problem:

2018-01-25 07:10:47,124 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [62]: An uncaught exception has occurred!
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,125 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,126 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\plugins\UM3NetworkPrinting\DiscoverUM3Action.py", line 60, in restartDiscovery
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,127 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]:     self._network_plugin.startDiscovery()
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,128 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]:   File "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\plugins\UM3NetworkPrinting\NetworkPrinterOutputDevicePlugin.py", line 87, in startDiscovery
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,129 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]:     self._zero_conf = Zeroconf()
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,129 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]:   File "zeroconf.py", line 1523, in __init__
    2018-01-25 07:10:47,130 - CRITICAL - cura.CrashHandler.__init__ [65]: OSError: [WinError 10042] An unknown, invalid, or unsupported option or level was specified in a getsockopt or setsockopt call

Posted (edited) · Cura - Connect to UM3E

Where do you find the logs?

Asking since when I try to connect to the printer, Cura (3.1 and 3.2 as well) always crashes...

Btw. I am using a Macbook Pro w. the latest macOSX installed.

Using the Ultimaker 3 - App on my iPad works with the UM3e.

Edited by Bossler

Hi @Bossler

On my Windows machine it's under my <userDir>/AppData/Local/cura, there is probably something similar within your home directory on your Mac.

I have a Mac as well and installed Cura and tried to connect and just couldn't, even when punching in the IP address, haven't pursued that any further so I'm probably having the same issue you are.

36 minutes ago, Bossler said:

Where do you find the logs?

Asking since when I try to connect to the printer, Cura (3.1 and 3.2 as well) always crashes...

Btw. I am using a Macbook Pro w. the latest macOSX installed.

Using the Ultimaker 3 - App on my iPad works with the UM3e.

Took a quick look at my Mac.  Cura logs were in Library/Logs/cura in my home directory.

Thanks, Kcel!

Oh my good, that's  a long file full of errors...

This seems to be related to the crash:

2018-01-25 18:57:18,964 - DEBUG - UM.Controller.setActiveStage [155]: Setting active stage to MonitorStage
    2018-01-25 18:57:19,419 - WARNING - UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [269]: file:///Applications/Ultimaker Cura 3_2.app/Contents/MacOS/resources/qml/Settings/SettingCategory.qml: Object destroyed during incubation
    2018-01-25 18:57:25,111 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.DiscoverUM3Action.setKey [98]: Attempting to set the network key of the active machine to ultimakersystem-ccbdd30048b2._ultimaker._tcp.local.
    2018-01-25 18:57:25,114 - DEBUG - UM3NetworkPrinting.NetworkPrinterOutputDevicePlugin.reCheckConnections [233]: Connecting [ultimakersystem-ccbdd30048b2._ultimaker._tcp.local.]...
    Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

A bit before that I see a lot of warnings like this one:

2018-01-25 18:57:13,443 - WARNING - UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [269]: file:///Applications/Ultimaker Cura 2.app/Contents/Resources/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/EditMenu_base.qml: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

P.S.:

I checked reg. that warning.

The folder "Ultimaker Cura 2.app" does not exist within Applications.

It's actually "Ultimaker Cura 3_2.app" on my Mac.

So I did set a log.link"Ultimaker Cura 3_2.app" to "Ultimaker Cura 2.app" - which did not change the crash when connecting to the printer:-(

By the way I have Cura 3.1 and Cura 3.2 installed in parallel on my Mac - may this causes an issue?

While I have been told it should not...

Edited by Bossler

15 minutes ago, Bossler said:

Any ideas?

I'm certainly no expert, but one thing jumps out at me (unless it is a copy/paste error):

One line: 2018-01-25 18:57:19,419 - WARNING - UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [269]: file:///Applications/Ultimaker Cura 3_2.app/Contents/MacOS/resources/qml/Settings/SettingCategory.qml: Object destroyed during incubation

Refers to Ultimaker Cura 3_2.app,

The last line you show: 2018-01-25 18:57:13,443 - WARNING - UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [269]: file:///Applications/Ultimaker Cura 2.app/Contents/Resources/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/EditMenu_base.qml: No such file or directory

References Ultimaker Cura 2.app.

Do you have two versions of Cura installed, and are they maybe tripping over each other?

Kcel,

yes, as said:

"By the way I have Cura 3.1 and Cura 3.2 installed in parallel on my Mac - may this causes an issue?

While I have been told it should not..."

Problem is - I do not know how to completely uninstall Cura on the mac - because simply moving the appl. to the trash can will likely not remove everything...

Could also be due to the fact that I renamed the app to Cura 3.2 - but that should not influence the actual directory structure, as far as I know the mac...

Edited by Bossler

6 minutes ago, Bossler said:

Kcel,

yes, as said:

By the way I have Cura 3.1 and Cura 3.2 installed in parallel on my Mac - may this causes an issue?

While I have been told it should not...

Problem is - I do not know how to completely uninstall Cura on the mac - because simply moving the appl. to the trash can will likely not remove everything...

I'm not positive if having two versions of Cura will cause a problem, but as a debugging exercise it's a good idea to reduce your system to the simplest state possible which means having only one version installed.

And yes, I agree, uninstalling on Mac (or even Windows) is not easy.  For Mac you would need to hunt through various Library and Application folders to make sure you find all the related files.  Maybe @nallath can look at your log excerpt and give you an idea.

14 minutes ago, Bossler said:

Kcel,

yes, as said:

"By the way I have Cura 3.1 and Cura 3.2 installed in parallel on my Mac - may this causes an issue?

While I have been told it should not..."

Could also be due to the fact that I renamed the app to Cura 3.2 - but that should not influence the actual directory structure, as far as I know the mac...

I have both 3.1 and 3.2 installed and it is creating no issues on my system.

If you want to thoroughly removed everything, do an uninstall and the a search for anything with the name cura attached to it and trash it. Worked for me. Saves the individual hunting issues.

So I have removed everything, installed Cura 3.2. (beta) - still crashes...

Same with Cura 3.1

I then removed everything again after making a reset of Cura as described here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20499-reset-cura-2-1

Thereafter I did a fresh install of Cura 3.1 (as being the latest stable version).

Still the same problem.

Anyway I found the solution - at least for my problem:

Within the Systemsetting of the Mac, click Network.

Click on "further options" (or is it more options? Translated from German;-).

Select "Proxies".

Check if in the list of protocols the "automatic proxy configuration" (or discovery) is activated.

If so, uncheck it=disable.

Then try again to connect to the printer via Cura.

On my Mac this works now.

Edited by Bossler