SD card reader has stopped reading

Tonypartington

Posted · SD card reader has stopped reading

I have an Ultimaker 2+ extended - working perfectly for about 2 years. This afternoon it suddenly stopped reading SD cards, it just says “reading card......” and goes into a dream. I have about 5 cards all were working OK and all read OK on MacBook, (a few weeks ago I noticed that it was getting a bit fussy about how the card was inserted, I needed to give a little upward pressure as well as pushing to get the “click”). None of the cards work anymore - has the reader given up? Is it fixable ?

I had a similar problem with my UMO.  Not sure if the UM2 card reader socket is the same, but UMO socket has a small micro switch built in to recognized if a card is in or not.  I would check out this switch if it exists on your machine.  In my case, it wasn't a faulty switch, but a poorly placed chip/crack in the side of my SD card where the switch touches it.  A new card was the remedy for me.  Your's sounds like it might be the switch since you have multiple SD cards.  Otherwise, I would check that the contacts are clean.  I am now very careful how I insert the cards.

Take it out and clean it.  Mine had a few hairs in there blocking contact.  First step is to remove the bottom front metal cover.  Then remove the knob by pushing it out from behind.  More info here: