Cura 3.2 printing above bed

Ashen1982

Posted · Cura 3.2 printing above bed

Good Morning,

I just switched back to Cura from Repetier on my Maker Select v2.  It appears everything is configured correctly but when I go to print, everything homes correctly and then the print starts approximately 15mm above the print bed.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ashen, I believe I have seen this before - when 3.1 came out, I noticed the first couple models I loaded didn't sit on the bed properly - automatically "dropping" them drops them to the some imaginary plane, but nothing on the model.

I've had some come in under the plane as well, I almost wasted half a roll of filament for a missing cm off a bigger model just now. :-)

Anyway, uncheck the auto drop, and prepare for a world of frustration trying to get 100 micron accuracy placing the model on the bed. Sometimes it ignores the triad and just won't move the object till you grab  "it" and not the triad - triad changes color but there's no reaction.

Hope this helps, anyway! Try another model.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ashen1982 said:

Good Morning,

I just switched back to Cura from Repetier on my Maker Select v2.  It appears everything is configured correctly but when I go to print, everything homes correctly and then the print starts approximately 15mm above the print bed.  Any ideas?

Thanks

When you slice, what does it look like in the layer view? Is the actual sliced model above the buildplate or is it an error of distance between the software and machine concerning where the buildplate and nozzle is? Can you post an image of the sliced view?

From that view, it looks like it is floating. Do you mind posting the model so we can take a gander at it?

The model is part of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2770388

Thank you!  I'm new to 3D printing and trying not to get to frustrated.

WTSE_Bpy.stl

I took a look at the file. Both as an STL and did a quick slice in Cura.

The STL file is fine. When I sliced in Cura, this is what I got. I colored the skirts and support so they are easy to see.

SlicedPart.thumb.jpg.26b73013efbfa0040f769e667f9af7d4.jpg

Now here is the catch. You have Cura setup with a Maker Select. That is an unknown printer to me. But with the STL file passing muster and it slicing with my UM3X with no problems, I am thinking there is a disconnect in Cura and the make of printer that is throwing things off.

I wish I knew more about foreign printers in Cura. I am hoping someone sees this and can point you in the right direction to solve this.

And, believe me, I understand the frustrations of being new to this stuff. It is an unusual animal to learn. The good thing is that you are in the right place for people to help you. All I could do was narrow it down a bit. Sorry I could not be more help.

I also tried this model, split it in two, varied layer heights... I couldn't get it to do what you saw, though I'm still having issues with things not dropping to bed right.

Have you tried another model?

Thank you again for all of the help with this!  I just tried a different model and it did the same thing with starting printing above the bed.  I let it go longer this time and as the nozzle moves from the home location to the center of the plate for the print it gradually moved to the correct height but was extruding a very thin amount of filament as it moved.  The print appears to be printing correctly now but there is a mess of thin filament from the home point to where the actual print started.  Is this normal for Cura and just something I haven't seen since I was using Repetier ?

Usually, I believe, this is the priming line. Some printers use it a lot. I do not know if it is  slicer specific.

I guess my next question would be if the primer line is supposed to start that far above the bed?

This is a slicer-specific behavior.  By default, Cura starts quite a way above the bed (maybe 20mm?) in the home position and extrudes a blob to prime the nozzle.  Then it moves in x, y and z simultaneously to get to the bed and start printing.  By doing this it is stretching the filament out to a fine string and essentially getting the prime blob out of the way.

Personally, I like this behavior of Cura and have tried to replicate it in Simplify3D, but haven't spent enough time to get the starting gcode right.