Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
lordnimon

Why is my layer height orange?

I'm creating a custom printer definition, but there are lots of things about my printer that I don't know, and so I'm starting with a blank template.  When I set my layer height to 0.4mm or larger, the text field turns orange.  Any other value makes the text box white.  So I'm guessing that Cura thinks that 0.4mm layer height is a problem.  I have a few questions:

1. Why does Cura think that 0.4mm is a problem?

2. How can I tell what the minimum and maximum layer heights for my printer are?  I have a Printrbot Simple Makers Kit 1405.

3. How do I specify these limits in the JSON file?

I don't know most of these answers but the orange is because you want a layer height around 20% to 75% of the nozzle diameter.  So I'm guessing somehow it thinks your nozzle diameter is 0.4mm and thinks that 0.4mm layer height is pushing things a bit (the quality will be worse, you will be pushing too much material through the nozzle possibly for the feeder to keep up unless you also slow down the print speed so why not thinner layer and faster print speed for same overall speed and thirdly layer adhesion won't be great).

There is no reason you cannot change min/max value warnings in the definition. In this particular case though, the warning makes a lot of sense: printing with a layerheight of 0.4 or higher using a 0.4 mm nozzle is not going to give you good results.