Tightening hot-end isolator

ErikR

Posted (edited) · Tightening hot-end isolator

*never mind this, but I have another question (in my reply)

Until now, all the maintenance I've had to do on my Ultimaker 2+ has used the allen wrenches provided with the printer. Now though, I am trying to do the hot-end isolator tightening maintenance. The medium (2mm) wrench is too small, and the large (2.5 mm) is too large. I've also tried using Allen wrenches from a separate set I had (in those sizes) and the same thing happened. I've never done this maintenance before, so the hex connections should be as they were in the factory. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need an in-between hex/Allen wrench (3/32 inch??? 2.25 mm???)? Why were Allen wrenches provided that don't work? Or do I need to replace the hot-end isolator?

Edited by ErikR

Posted · Tightening hot-end isolator

Okay, never mind. I was putting the wrench in and trying to rotate the wrench itself instead of putting the wrench in and pushing it around to rotate the metal cylinder. I guess my next question is, how tight is it supposed to be? Turning one way (to the left) definitely loosened it, but turning the other way - while tightening it up some - doesn't get "tight", only slightly tighter than it was when loosened.

• Thanks 1

Well do you have a spring above the white teflon part or do you have a fixed aluminum spacer?

If the ring is too loose the olsson block is too low and it hits the fan shroud and you get lots of HEATER ERROR messages and failed prints when the fans come on.  So make sure you tighten the ring enough so that you can insert a piece of paper from the rear of the head between the block and the fan shroud - this lets you know you have a tiny gap.  As long as there is a tiny gap you are good to print.

If you raise it really high the spring gets compressed more and more and puts more stress on the teflon part.  But it can take it for the most part but I like things as loose as possible such that the block is still not touching the fan shroud.  Which is probably as tight as you can go and then back off one full rotation.  

If you have the aluminum spacer instead of the spring then you tighten until that part is no longer loose.

Thanks, gr5. I have the aluminum spacer instead of the spring. The printer seems to be working fine. It was puzzling that it didn't tighten to a secure fit, but since it isn't "loose" and seems to be fine the way it is, I guess that's how it's supposed to be.