Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
smrtkai

Build plate too hot

Hi,
the build plate of our Ultimaker 3 Extended is too hot. For the complete print the build plate temperature is over 100 degrees Celsius. The print deforms and bends due to the high temperature. I have already updated to the latestest firmware, but the problem still exists.
In the attached image you can see deformed print. On the left and on the front the print is deformed.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

Kind regards,

Kai

6b4c6dd5-a681-4355-b5fc-e111045012fc.JPG

The build temperature heats up according to what it has been set to. If you use Cura and the default profiles, then depending on the selected material, the build plate has a pre-defined temperature.

What are you printing with? Do you use Cura? If yes, which profile did you select?

Yes, I am printing with Cura. I haven't changed anything in the settings except the "Infill Density".
But I have just seen, that I have selected the wrong material in Cura. It was PC instead of PLA. This might be the issue.

Yep this will definitely be the issue. When you select a material, the related profile changes many other printing parameters in addition to temperature. So you will probably get way better prints with the right profile.

Which doesn't mean that you are not to tweak the print parameters, but if you just started out then stick to the default profiles and see how it goes.

PLA is a pretty forgiving material so it should be fine.

Ohh no! I was wrong. I have had selected the right material. The Ultimaker does not print with wrong material settings.

The last successful print that was with PLA. All prints with PC were printed like the picture. I am using the Ultimaker material "PC White (1642)" with default settings.

Do you have another idea what the problem might be?

PC is very difficult to get it to stick to the glass.  You have to use all the tricks.  Of all the materials, PC is the hardest I think.

I've never printed PC (I think - I know I have some somewhere - maybe I did once but have forgotten).  What is the property you are looking for that made you decide to print PC?

Anyway you need to take the glass off the printer and clean it very well with soap and a plastic scratchy sponge.  Then dry it and then clean it again with glass cleaner.

Then use a very thin layer of PVA glue.  One source is to use glue stick and spread it around a little (not much glue at all!) and then use a wet tissue to spread it really evenly and then heat the bed and it will dry to invisibility before it gets to PC temps.

Also when it's printing the first layer, you should probably turn the 3 screws CCW a little (1/3 turn) to get it to squish the bottom layer better.

Also make sure you are using brim feature in cura.

• Like 1